New install 2010 F150 questions

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

sailor

New install 2010 F150 questions

Post by sailor »

Hello,

Been following the forum for ages, and my first real post. I need to install a couple of radios, siren, strobes, led, etc in a new f150 FX4 with the full centre console. Everything will have to be done remotely due to not having any space for floor mount console. I'm not an installer, but have done this stuff before.

I'm having a hard time even trying to figure out where to mount power distribution, never mind the actual equipment. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
tvsjr

Re: New install 2010 F150 questions

Post by tvsjr »

I mounted mine inside the Havis consoles and inside the bed, underneath the topper. 8)

There is some room behind the seats down low - a Blue Sea box would probably fit. Otherwise, build something to go underneath the rear seat. A friend (smcrae0 here on the board) built a module to go under the seats for his 09 Platinum - looks very nice.
sailor

Post by sailor »

In the bed is great...but not so much in this case! I'll have to look more closely at the back seat, because I couldn't see how it would move to get access behind. It would probably be enough if i could get back there and install on the back wall of the cab somehow.
ka8ypy

Post by ka8ypy »

Extended cab or super crew?
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

I haven't seen the mounting space available in the new pickups, but it is amazing how much room you can create with judicious use of a knife on the carpeting under seats and on the back wall. A little plywood to flatten out the surface and you might have all the room in the world.
sailor

Post by sailor »

ka8ypy wrote:Extended cab or super crew?
It's a SuperCrew, so it doesn't look like much room at all behind the seat. Even the seatback moves when you lift the seat bottom. Seems to make it very tough. With a regular cab I think there would be plenty of room behind the rear seat.
ka8ypy

Post by ka8ypy »

sailor wrote:
ka8ypy wrote:Extended cab or super crew?
It's a SuperCrew, so it doesn't look like much room at all behind the seat. Even the seatback moves when you lift the seat bottom. Seems to make it very tough. With a regular cab I think there would be plenty of room behind the rear seat.
I have a 2004 and have plenty of room for radios, strobe supplies, etc. behind the rear seat, not sure about the changes to the 2010 model. On mine, take the middle shoulder belt cover off of the top of the seat. Then look for the two seat clips on either side of the back seat about 6-8 inches from the outer edge. With a friend on the other side, press the tabs in and press down on the back seat to release them, pull up on the back of the seat to get access to the space behind it.

When you put it all back, if you want, tie the clips back so that you can remove the back of the seat a little easier next time.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

The 2010 is totally different... part of the redesign, longer cab, etc.

There are two locking spring-loaded widgets that hold the seat back in and let it move, but they are hard to describe. I pulled all the bolts and slid the whole seat out to figure out where the widgets were, then went from there. My solution was a piece of heavy nylon string, tied to the clip in such a way that a tug will release it. The strings are taped to the back of the seat, in a position where they can be reached easily. This allows you to release the seat backs without removing the whole seat.

There is very little room up top but probably 6" from the wall to the seat back down low. I would be somewhat concerned about airflow, however. The underseat option seems to be the best.
sailor

Post by sailor »

It's been a long while since the original post, but I just thought I'd post a few photos of the install. For the most part it was very easy, though time consuming of course. There's actually a fair bit of room behind the seat. Radios went under the two front seats (1 Dual band ham, 1 commercial). Still some clean-up and some additions to go.

For the rest of the install photos....http://www.dwilson.ca/photo/index.php?level=album&id=5

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”