Controlling VIP outs with control head

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

calford812
New User

Controlling VIP outs with control head

Post by calford812 »

I am looking for a way to turn the 2 VIP outputs that are available with an O3 control head on and off by pushing a button on the control head. I am wanting to control my blue lights through the radio without buying a DEK box. Can this be done? The Install manual references the control head programming manual, which according to a motorola engineer does not exist on MOL.
calford812
New User

Re: Controlling VIP outs with control head

Post by calford812 »

Guess by the lack of replies either this can't be done or nobody knows either.
diogini
New User

Post by diogini »

I think I've looked into this as well and from speaking with Motorola Technical support this cannot be done without a DEK box.
wa6jbd

Post by wa6jbd »

I guess I'll bump this up with a comment and a question...

So far, I've found that programming the Speaker A/B function seems to be the only VIP output available without a DEK. All the documentation I've been able find, manuals etc seem to indicate that it's possible, but I've yet to find anything other than Spkr A/B that actually works.

Does anyone know any more about this?
pacAir
New User

Post by pacAir »

I know this is a "late" reply but better to answer a question separated in time in order to keep the reference question intact with the proposed answer! I found this thread a year later, so will others who may benefit from a connected answer.

If you are NOT using a Horn Ring transfer relay for a Manual mode Siren operation, then you should be able to program the Manual button on the front panel to gain some VIP output capability. Since this is a "canned act" mode the VIP pin assignments are already pre-determined. I am not sure if the head will complain (via Error Code) if you do not actually have a siren connected, but I had one in the system so I was only making alternate use of a supported but unused function.

When a properly programmed Manual button is pressed, the VIP output #3 (pin 34) goes to ground (normally to energize the Horn RIng Transfer Relay). Theoretically, this could be used to energize any number of devices through the relay (whose + coil connection is connected to VIP pin 35, Switched 12Vdc) OR by itself without a relay to enable an electronic switching input that is looking for a ground closure.

I suspect there are other external functions that could be "borrowed" to obtain switching signals or contacts to enable external gear as well. The biggest concern would be potential error messages relating to non-existent hardware whose features you are "borrowing"!

Steve
desperado
What radios do you own?: Motorola

Post by desperado »

Speaker A/B is also usable
Don't bother with the H/L (horn lights) as this output will only switch if you have an incoming call
the output is 12 vt at 200MA IIRC so it has to control a relay and the relay switch the load
Keith
CET USMSS
Field Tech
What more can I say

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”