Pyramid Installation Question

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Pozy

Pyramid Installation Question

Post by Pozy »

Currently installing a Kenwood TK8150 radio with a UHF Pyramid 250 repeater attach to the radio. This setup is going into a Dodge Sprinter ambulance. The repeater needs to be on when the crews are out of the truck and installing a toggle switch so the crews can flip on is out of the question, because the crews will forget to turn it on and they will not have working portables. I am trying to find other options on how to have the repeater kick on when the crews are out of the truck. Any ideas or tips on this matter would be appreciated.
tvsjr

Re: Pyramid Installation Question

Post by tvsjr »

Activate it when the truck is in park.
Use a weight sensor to detect when there are no asses in the seats.
Or, the simple way would be to install a toggle switch, then train your people properly.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

I had to put butt switches in patrol cars to keep officers from using their portables as wireless mics through the PacRT. But, that was years ago. I would investigate the driver's seat belt sensor. Intercept that wiring and build a circuit that will turn your rptr on/off. Think about how you want it to act when they are not on a call, but back at quarters.
HumHead

Post by HumHead »

Most ambulances have a park / neutral sense line easily available in the electrical panel. I always just use that. When the vehicle is in park, the repeater is on, what it is rolling it is off.
kburant
New User

Post by kburant »

You could also incert a park siren deactivator to activate the SVR?
http://www.fedsig.com/products/docs/install/2562344.pdf

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”