Electrical questions on a 1997 Isuzu Rodeo

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

birminghamWILDCAT
New User
What radios do you own?: XTL5000, Spectra, XTS 5000R

Electrical questions on a 1997 Isuzu Rodeo

Post by birminghamWILDCAT »

I just bought the aformentioned vehicle and I have some engine kinks to work out (wont start except for clutch popping, for example) but I am thinking of putting a GTX or a Spectra (Or Both) in it. Any ideas how to wire it without upsetting this thing's need for a constant and exact 14v?
"Birmingham Fire and Rescue policy prevents me from commenting. I must refer you to the PIO for all questions."-PIO Capt. Mardis.
KE7JFF
What radios do you own?: MX300 lunchbox

Re: Electrical questions on a 1997 Isuzu Rodeo

Post by KE7JFF »

I have a Honda Passport which is a rebadge of the Isuzu Rodeo.

I don't know why some of the Isuzu guys say you need to keep the car at 14V; I've never had that issue and all the factory literature says 13.8 is what the car revolves around. But does the 14V hurt anything? Far as I can tell, no. I just don't see the actual benefit.

I ended up just wiring a direct battery line that is routed under the quarter panel with some loom to the cab which then routes under the seat where I have a small junction box and a remote mount radio under there.
Mountain Wave Search & Rescue http://www.mwave.org
Support Search & Rescue: Get Lost!
birminghamWILDCAT
New User
What radios do you own?: XTL5000, Spectra, XTS 5000R

Re: Electrical questions on a 1997 Isuzu Rodeo

Post by birminghamWILDCAT »

O.K. thanks. I used to have one in my old 95 Chevy pickup and that's how i had it wired so it makes sense. As soon as I get my deep electrical thrombosis fixed that prevents me from doing anything with it (including driving) I'll do the install and either post the pics here or in a new thread.
"Birmingham Fire and Rescue policy prevents me from commenting. I must refer you to the PIO for all questions."-PIO Capt. Mardis.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”