Install Images.... i have some tidying up to do..

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

giguchan
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: CDM 1550's UHF/VHF HT1550'S

Install Images.... i have some tidying up to do..

Post by giguchan »

All,
I did not want to have the record for the "most posts on one subject" here are a few Snaps i took. I have some cleaning up to do, wires will be made shorter, cleaner..etc..

http://s872.photobucket.com/home/giguchan
Radios by Fisher-Price? Never!!!
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
fineshot1

Re: Install Images.... i have some tidying up to do..

Post by fineshot1 »

Good morning gig - i like how you mounted the radio chasis under that lid - atta boy!
fineshot1
NJ USA
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

Ive done someting simular with 2 remote mount MCS2000 and a remote siren amp. I put a piece of 1/2 in plywood under the carpet the same size as the bottom. Screwed the brackets though the carpet into the wood put a small slit in the carpet for the cables. Then dressed the cables with some split loom.
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

Fire Capt,
When i did this the first time round i actually mounted the bricks the same way you did, but instead i just found some heavy velcro and mounted them IN the compartment instead of folding down into the compartment. This time i did what you see here.

Fine shot,
being how there is not much room to do anything i thouight that this might be the best Solution. Next year the company is supposed to be dropping the Chevy and going with the Jeep Laredo. I hope there is something close to this in that Vehicle. I am waiting for my Havis console i should have it by the end of the week..

Thanks for the replies.Good to hear from Both of you.

P.S. either one of you guys know a good source for the best Mini UHF crimper in the world?(ratchet type) and the best quality connectors to go with it? the moto cable assembly connector came off in my hands while doing the install. The Local shop gets $25 perconnector installed- The shop says"soldering is old school- we use "compression fittings" more per connector if i have to go that route then so be it. i thought i might be able to get a nice crimper and do it myself this way i can trim the Ant lines to size and not have a lot of extra in that small compartment.
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
Sikdmax
New User

Post by Sikdmax »

giguchan wrote: this way i can trim the Ant lines to size and not have a lot of extra in that small compartment.
Good idea - coiled up or extra coax can dramatically effect signal quality and strength.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

giguchan wrote:P.S. either one of you guys know a good source for the best Mini UHF crimper in the world?(ratchet type) and the best quality connectors to go with it? the moto cable assembly connector came off in my hands while doing the install. The Local shop gets $25 perconnector installed- The shop says"soldering is old school- we use "compression fittings" more per connector if i have to go that route then so be it. i thought i might be able to get a nice crimper and do it myself this way i can trim the Ant lines to size and not have a lot of extra in that small compartment.
I purchased my set (tool and dies) from RF Parts. They sell a kit of one ratchet type tool and a pair
of dies that will cover almost all of your needs and they also sell just about any type crimp connector
as well. The kit is sold in a foam lined plastic case and holds the tool & dies. You can also scan ebay
for some bargains as this type of crimp tool has become pretty common and that fella was correct
as its just about all done by crimp tools now and they do a pretty good job of it. Trying to solder
on some of these newer modern cables with the foam dialectric is destructive to the cables if too
much heat is applied.
fineshot1
NJ USA
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

My crimper is the one sold by tessco. I cant remember the part # but its the big one with the blue handle
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

Thanks ALL of you....
Believe it or not i have not had the time to play radio since the the weekend! I'll crimping my heart out(ok not that bad) but i need to get the rest of the install done.. The Local dist of the Havis console is giving me grief- this after i paid for the Box in full- so now i have my 2 heads on the seat of the truck... No worry though

I do want to cut the Ant lines to size- for performance and peace of mind..I dont need any Silly RF issues that could have been easily been prevented, thought i had the Proper Dies.. I'll find them i hope.

Thanks for all of the Suggestions.
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”