'05 Ford F250 ext cab, install 2 hi pwr astro spectras?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

W1HVN
What radios do you own?: MX300 w/DVP

'05 Ford F250 ext cab, install 2 hi pwr astro spectras?

Post by W1HVN »

Any suggestions on installing two 110 watt Astro Spectras? Rig is a lariat ext cab. Driver power seat pax is manual. Considering odyssey center console instead of center armrest on bench seat. Will self install their unit.

Decks may fit inside console, however would rather avoid this due to heat inside console and space.

Thanks for the insight.
lm2032

Re: '05 Ford F250 ext cab, install 2 hi pwr astro spectras?

Post by lm2032 »

I wouldn't put them inside the console unless you install some fans to move air through the console space. I'm not exactly sure how your truck is set up, but here are a couple fairly easy options:

I'm running a crew cab F350 lariat. The rear seat tilts forward, so I've got a rack mounted to the rear wall of the cab behind the seat, so all of the drawer units are hidden. The nice thing about behind the seat is that the air vents are back there. The air gets pulled right across the heatsinks without any extra rigging required.

Rick runs an F150 extended cab with a rear bench seat, but his seat doesn't tilt forward at all. He installed a 3/4" piece of plywood mounted on slides that sit under the seat. He can pull the entire plywood mounting 'drawer' out to get to everything. If you're going to be at Dayton this year, you're welcome to look us up at the Hamsexy/Batlounge booth. Both trucks will be there.
Jim202

Re: '05 Ford F250 ext cab, install 2 hi pwr astro spectras?

Post by Jim202 »

The Spectra and Astro Spectra need a bunch of air over the cooling fins if you talk much at all on the radio. A fan wouldn't hurt if your going to use them
on the ham bands.

Jim

W1HVN wrote:Any suggestions on installing two 110 watt Astro Spectras? Rig is a lariat ext cab. Driver power seat pax is manual. Considering odyssey center console instead of center armrest on bench seat. Will self install their unit.

Decks may fit inside console, however would rather avoid this due to heat inside console and space.

Thanks for the insight.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”