Ground plane for fiberglass truck caps?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

W1HVN
What radios do you own?: MX300 w/DVP

Ground plane for fiberglass truck caps?

Post by W1HVN »

Looking to install nmo mounts in roof of fiberglass truck cap. VHF UHF 800. In old days (just 5 yrs ago) of ems I remember the cars (fiberglass roof to the Ford E250 conversions) had roof mounted VHF Lo and UHF antennas however used a metal ground plane kit to add to the nmo mounts and antennas. Anyone know of a commercially available answer to this to apply to the roof of a truck cap or something to do the job without noticable difference to the vehicle?
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Re: Ground plane for fiberglass truck caps?

Post by thebigphish »

Most of the commercially available kits i've seen are just 6" cutouts of sheetmetal, designed to be glued to the roof and then drilled thru and have the antenna mounted thru. Got someone with a jigsaw and a piece of 20ga sheetmetal and you are in business.
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Ask a print shop, newspaper, or lithographer for their old aluminum plates. Generally 24" by 36" or larger to print two pages of newsprint. Easily trimmed to fit contours of vehicle roof. Spray on carpet adhesive holds it in place. Just be gentle when you drill through for the mount.
dbusse
What radios do you own?: XTL, XTS, Saber, Spectra, MTS2

Post by dbusse »

3M makes a good aluminum tape. I have a 1" wide roll that's lasted a while, but I suspect Grainger carries it. It sticks well. I use it for "soft" radials in situations just like you are talking about.

DLB
MSS-Dave
What radios do you own?: XTL5K, NX300, PD782, Spark Gap

Post by MSS-Dave »

Is using 1/2 wave No Ground Plane antennas out of the question? Worked OK for me in a couple of applications I got tossed into......

Dave
Motoboy
What radios do you own?: HT1250 I saved from the dump

Post by Motoboy »

No-ground-plane antennas are fine for UHF and 800MHz, I use them quite frequently when I have a lot of tractor installs to do and don't have the time to lift the roof. For VHF they are usually just too big. A tree (or in one instance, an overpass) will damage them. But the UHF and 800 NGP antennas work just fine once you get em tuned.
"I don't have a driver's license, either, and that never got me in trouble!" ~Customer
n7jei

Post by n7jei »

I'm using VHF, UHF and 900 MHz NGP antennas from Antennex and they work great on my fiberglass camper shell! Low SWR, etc. Maratrac, Spectra's and MCS2000's all like them fine. 100 watts on VHF and UHF and 35 watts on 900. No problems. Oh, I hit lots of garages and trees with the VHF, and it only grinds off a bit of the end.
David Hall, N7JEI
Los Lunas, NM
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

I just pick up some thin aluminum sheet stock(1/32") and remove the headliner and glue it to the roof.

Unless it's dried fully, you should have someone holding the sheet while drilling to prevent damage and maintain alignment.

I did an install on a Quad (one with bed), and had to use a sheet of steel the mine supplied.
Had to lay it on top, drill it and mount the antenna, and then route the cable down the center, and along the support rails to the radio mounted in the dash(CDM1550).
Supplying power/filtering was the easy part.

I'll have to dig up those pics....
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

For UHF and 800/900 you can use an electrical 1900 box cover. I use the ones with the knockout. On VHF, I use aluminum cookie baking sheets. You may have to silicone or glue the cookie sheet to the underside, so it doesn't rip a hole in the fiberglass over time.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”