16 Volt Alternators

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

w1dhm
New User

16 Volt Alternators

Post by w1dhm »

Has anyone run into problems from GM alternators putting out 16VDC?
Seeing this in Silverados and Impalas.
Initial findings say it is a part of a new GM fuel savings configuration. We have been having power inverters shut down once the voltage reaches 15 Volts and a few two ways fail with controller issues. Most electronic components in equipment is only rated to 15 V.
Any comments or opinions appreciated
motorola_otaku

Re: 16 Volt Alternators

Post by motorola_otaku »

What year model Impala, and are they civvie-version or 9C1/9C3? I haven't seen anything yet in my '07 9C3 to indicate overvoltage problems, and I definitely didn't have a problem with overvoltage in my '01 or either of my '04s.

I honestly can't picture it being an actual factory option because it would cook the battery.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

And there does not seem to be anything on the Chevrolet recall lists about this subject, at least not on the lists that pop up on the internet.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
wa6ylb

Post by wa6ylb »

We see this in the Tahoe products. We use a power tamer module that disconnects the load when the voltage gets high like you mentioned. The vehicle lighting also suffers short life too. So far, we've not gotten anywhere on figuring out
whats up with these vehicles. Very frustrating.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”