Remote XTS adapter

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

chet-
New User
What radios do you own?: Astros 3K, Sabers

Remote XTS adapter

Post by chet- »

A friend has a project I am helping him with. Any Ideas?

I want to create a dummy battery for an XTS so I may remotely install an XTS vehicle adapter (the speaker and mic have long extension cords). The power to the adapter would be turned off with a remote switch. The radio would have to be turned on permanently; but with a battery in it, it would run after the power to the adapter was turned off until the battery was drained. Eventually, the battery would be worn out and not allow the radio to turn on when the adapter power was restored.

Commercially available XTS battery eliminators use a cigarette lighter adapter cord and would not work inside an XTS 3000 vehicle adapter. I have a large supply of unusable XTS batteries and have tried some experiments in bypassing the 6 AA-style cells inside, but it isn’t that obvious on how the power jumper would have to be routed to simply take the charging power in and feed it directly to the radio.
techtonics

Re: Remote XTS adapter

Post by techtonics »

put a diode on the hot/ignition lines to prevent that, there was a SRN about it.

Subject: impres™ batteries and non-standard XTVA installations
The standard XTVA installation procedure states that the red power wire (A+) should always be connected to the vehicle battery
positive terminal (+). However, in the event that the red wire is connected to a power point that can be switched off, the impres™
battery voltage could appear on the red wire when the vehicle is off. In some newer vehicles, these switched power points are
monitored by the vehicle’s computer, which may prevent normal starting or operation of the vehicle when this voltage is present. In
addition, the impres™ battery will be drained if left in the XTVA.
ONLY the use of impres™ batteries will have the potential of creating this scenario with the XTVA.
Reason:
Internal to the impres™ battery is a FET switch that allows current to flow in and out of the battery charging contacts. This bidirectional
feature is necessary for charging and discharging the impres™ battery during a re-conditioning cycle. Conventional
batteries have an internal diode that only allows current to flow into the battery via these contacts (i.e., charging but no discharging).
When the standard installation is used and only the ignition line (yellow wire) is used to shut off the XTVA, the XTVA will charge
the impres™ battery for 30 minutes; close the impres™ battery FET switch and shut down the XTVA. By contrast, in a non-standard
installation, when A+ is removed from the XTVA, the FET switch remains open and allows current to flow out of the battery. In this
situation, the battery is now supplying power to the XTVA, which will, of course, eventually drain the battery. In addition, the
battery’s voltage or a portion thereof will appear on the A+ terminal of the XTVA and the car’s switched power point.
What change can be done:
Adding a 1N5822RL Schottky diode in series with the A+ line will block current flowing out of the XTVA. This will resolve any
interaction with the vehicle’s power system and/or computer. However, it will not address the issue of discharging of the impres™
battery when the vehicle is off. This can only be overcome by any one of the following actions:
1. Follow the standard installation guidelines.
2. Remove the radio/battery from the XTVA when the vehicle is off.
3. If you elect not to adhere to suggestions #1 and/or #2, your other alternative
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

I don't think thats what he's describing. He wants to completely eliminate the battery from the equation and have the power go directly thru a faux-battery that channels the XTVA supplied power into 7.5VDC and goes into the radio. Basically looking to turn an XTS into a poor mans XTL W3. Unfortunately I don't have the answer, but I can translate (I think).
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
chet-
New User
What radios do you own?: Astros 3K, Sabers

Post by chet- »

That is exactly what we are trying to do.

Chet
DES-AJ
What radios do you own?: Too many...

Post by DES-AJ »

Any outcome in the end? I'm interested in doing similar.
AES AND DES ARE NOT CCI's - YOU CAN EXPORT THEM IF YOU WANT - Wassenaar Arrangement
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

heh

NNTN7152A

Be sure not to have any liquid in your mouth when viewing the price lest you destroy your monitor and / or keyboard

($735)
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

Jeff,

NNTN7152A

That came up on MOL as for an XTS4000 on my end
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

That's my bad, I meant REX4424A

Also give 8180384M64 a peek
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

escomm wrote:That's my bad, I meant REX4424A

Also give 8180384M64 a peek

8180384M64 !! WTF Ouch! $9,303.68
b917447
New User

Post by b917447 »

Did you work this one out Chet ?

I've now run into the same issue, i want XTVA mounted in boot and run extention for mic to dash.

Thanks

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”