APX 7500 Install on Honda ST1300PA Motorcycle

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ASTROMODAT

APX 7500 Install on Honda ST1300PA Motorcycle

Post by ASTROMODAT »

I am installing a VHF motorcycle radio (ordered as such with the motorcycle 15 watt option with all of the appropriate motorcycle ordering codes, etc.) APX 7500 on a new Honda ST1300PA. I am using the Motorola motorcycle box ($900 for a little fiberglass box!).

Question: Do I simply use the standard NMO roof mount, and drill a 3/4 inch hole in the rear of the fiberglass, where the metal is cut away?

My concern is that the thickness of the fiberglass looks like it will not leave sufficient room for the regular NMO to be able to screw the brass ring on. Is there a special pass through threaded device so you can deal with the thickness of the fiberglass?

Thanks!
MotoFAN
What radios do you own?: Approx. 50: Moto & Kenwood

Re: APX 7500 Install on Honda ST1300PA Motorcycle

Post by MotoFAN »

ASTROMODAT wrote:I am installing a VHF motorcycle radio (ordered as such with the motorcycle 15 watt option with all of the appropriate motorcycle ordering codes, etc.) APX 7500 on a new Honda ST1300PA. I am using the Motorola motorcycle box ($900 for a little fiberglass box!).

Question: Do I simply use the standard NMO roof mount, and drill a 3/4 inch hole in the rear of the fiberglass, where the metal is cut away?

My concern is that the thickness of the fiberglass looks like it will not leave sufficient room for the regular NMO to be able to screw the brass ring on. Is there a special pass through threaded device so you can deal with the thickness of the fiberglass?

Thanks!
These boxes sometimes on eBay for $130-200.

You should do some RF grounding for if you want to install NMO in fiberglass box.
I am biggest fan of XTS2500 and ASTRO Digital Saber.
arlojanis

Post by arlojanis »

Use a Maxrad BMATM38 for antenna hole thickness up to 1/4 inch for NMO. You might use a Larsen boat antenna with flange mount and no ground required.
"The world runs on radio."
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

I finally found it: Motorola indeed does have a special NMO kit specifically designed to appropriately deal with the thickness of the fiberglass on their white or black radio box for Motorcycle applications. Instead of being the regular $19 for a standard NMO mount with 17 feet of coax , it's a mere $100!

Oh, yes, and the $900 white fiberglass motorcycle radio enclosure box is no longer $900---now it's $1,039.50. However, he emphasized the fact that you "also get hardware with it." Can't wait to see that hardware!
va3wxm

Post by va3wxm »

It had better be gold plated hardware for that price.

Damn I wish I could sell $50 boxes for a thousand dollars.
WCHija
What radios do you own?: XPR 7550 & XPR 5550

Post by WCHija »

Thats standard pricing for a LE motorcycle radio box, the Harley version with 4 LED lights on it is $1,500.00.
Semper Fidelis

Some Cops are Perfect, the rest ride in patrol cars!

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”