future install in my 99 camaro

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

pointman1177
New User

future install in my 99 camaro

Post by pointman1177 »

Okay so I have my 1999 Camaro convertible as a daily driver and I plan on getting my ham ticket soon but I want to have all my plans ready by the time I take the test. I want to go with a Motorola setup for many reasons. The car itself it not radio friendly from the start. the only metal parts I could mount any kind of antenna to is the hood and rear fenders everything else is fiberglass and plastic including the trunk deck.

First off am I making a bad decision by putting a radio in a convertible. I don't want much RF exposure so I figure I will have to place the antenna as far away from me as possible with very little power going to it as well.

So I need a Good spot to mount an antenna of some sort. I want minimal damage made to the car but I can suffice if needed. Stealth is key though I don't want some crazy antenna hanging off of my car I love the laird phantom antenna it's very low profile. 99% of the time I plan on using a repeater anyways I just want to make sure it's worth it unless there is something better I can use that is low profile.

Here is a picture of where I am thinking about putting an antenna maybe a trunk lip nmo on the right corner? Image

Also any tips on where to mount the head unit itself, I know it's hard to figure out because I am not sure what radio I'm getting yet but the average size moto H/U is ideal.

Thanks
Jim202

Re: future install in my 99 camaro

Post by Jim202 »

pointman1177 wrote:Okay so I have my 1999 Camaro convertible as a daily driver and I plan on getting my ham ticket soon but I want to have all my plans ready by the time I take the test. I want to go with a Motorola setup for many reasons. The car itself it not radio friendly from the start. the only metal parts I could mount any kind of antenna to is the hood and rear fenders everything else is fiberglass and plastic including the trunk deck.

First off am I making a bad decision by putting a radio in a convertible. I don't want much RF exposure so I figure I will have to place the antenna as far away from me as possible with very little power going to it as well.

So I need a Good spot to mount an antenna of some sort. I want minimal damage made to the car but I can suffice if needed. Stealth is key though I don't want some crazy antenna hanging off of my car I love the laird phantom antenna it's very low profile. 99% of the time I plan on using a repeater anyways I just want to make sure it's worth it unless there is something better I can use that is low profile.

Here is a picture of where I am thinking about putting an antenna maybe a trunk lip nmo on the right corner?

Also any tips on where to mount the head unit itself, I know it's hard to figure out because I am not sure what radio I'm getting yet but the average size moto H/U is ideal.

Thanks

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a rear deck on that vehicle as that
is probably where the top folds into. Otherwise, I would say to see if you could
find a spot on the rear deck where normal vehicles mount the radio speakers.
Then you could use a simple 1/4 wave whip and if you had to, mount some sheet
metal under the deck for the ground plane part of it.

If not the rear deck, then consider a lip mount on the trunk lip or "DRILL" a hole
in the center of the trunk. Then use an NMO style mount and what ever style
antenna you desire.

Jim
pointman1177
New User

Post by pointman1177 »

Thanks Jim,

The top does not fold into anything it simply goes straight down, by deck I meant trunk lid sorry about that. I know I can get an extra spoiler really cheap so I figure I could use that for a place to mount something to but it is plastic so I guess that would be out of the question, I was thinking trunk lip to the fender by the top where the trunk meets it. This is so confusing lol I am thinking about doing nmo straight to the fender like the local PD has on their mustang

still any thoughts on a good low profile NMO with dual band capabilities?
pointman1177
New User

Post by pointman1177 »

I'm strongly considering this setup for the antenna a NCG Comet b-10: http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/i ... ts_id=1592

For the mount an antenex TMB8 trunk lip http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/i ... ts_id=1169

or find some kind of L bracket. My dad will not let me drill any holes or at least in parts that I cannot replace
jhooten

Post by jhooten »

The trunk lip mounts don't work well. The trunk is not metal. An L bracket screwed to the metal of the fender across from the good time radio antenna was the best solution I found on my 99 coupe.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Since this will be your first radio, and you drive a nice convertible, may I suggest running a portable until you can buy a beater vehicle. A man with two mistresses is not to be envied. I'm just sayin, you know ...
pointman1177
New User

Post by pointman1177 »

I mean a trunk lip to the fender since there is a really good spot that is solid metal Image is that not wide enough being maybe an inch of space for the mount? I have no problem with an L bracket I just don't think it will look as clean unless I can find a really cool one.

I have a HT1000 already I just love the fun and challenge of mobile installs. trying to make this look professional is going to be the hard part esp without a NMO drilled right to the car
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Yes. It may be metal, but there is not much to attach an L bracket to. You would have to fab something that conforms to the body, fits through the gap without rubbing, is mechanically strong, and doesn't impair the trunk deck water seal. Camaros and Firebirds are notorious for filling up with rain in the spare tire well because a tiny amount of water is driven through the compression gap the coax makes across the rubber gasket. Not pretty.

The best solution for a Camaro is the Stico disguise antenna that replaces the AM/FM antenna on the fender. It looks factory. It takes some expertise to install and match, but will serve you well.

http://pro-touring.com/forum/showthread ... ate-Police
pointman1177
New User

Post by pointman1177 »

I was looking at those antennas I just don't like how they were more meant to be tuned to a specific frequency for Ops teams, I would like to get a better use of the spectrum. I think I might be able to pull off a NMO mount in the factory radio area, today I took the antenna off to the point there was nothing left besides a 3/4" hole. what are my possibilities of doing a deep mount NMO like this one http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/i ... ts_id=1153 or this http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/i ... ts_id=1156.

car is a bit dirty but here is an idea of what it looks like further back
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

You won't be the first to try. Those thick roof mounts are meant for flat surfaces with a maximum half inch depth. The fender has a curve. The depth will be more than one inch to keep the antenna square to the ground without bending the whip vertical, and you will want to add material underneath to keep the antenna mechanically stable just like the OEM did for their AM/FM antenna. One option is to mount a complimentary AM/FM antenna on the opposite fender, and cut it to length. That avoids the matching stub, and the splitter box. If you trim both sides to the same length, the car will look balanced, but you will lose some range on the AM/FM receiver. You won't get a perfect match into your two way, but as you progress in the hobby, you'll learn how to make a coil that flattens the antenna response. For a first attempt, this will work fine with good workmanship.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”