2010 Dodge Charger/Astro Spectra Horn Transfer Relay for SRN

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jmr061
was KB9KST

2010 Dodge Charger/Astro Spectra Horn Transfer Relay for SRN

Post by jmr061 »

Got a police package 2010 Dodge Charger that I am doing an install on. Never done a Charger before. Its interesting working on this one. Anyway I am installing an Astro Spectra with a System 9000 Siren. I am going to hook up the horn transfer relay to do "MAN" and siren tone changes.

Anyone do this before? Wondering where/how you wired into the horn circuit at on this vehicle?

Thanks for the help.

Jason
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Re: 2010 Dodge Charger/Astro Spectra Horn Transfer Relay for

Post by FireCpt809 »

jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Yes I do. Nothing simple by the looks of it.

Jason
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

The PTIM chart shows cavity 5 as horn mute on 12V input and it shows the same exact thing for cavity 20. I doubt they both have the same function. A screw up in the manual perhaps?

I'd prefer to stay away from hooking into the horns out under the hood but that looks like the way I may have to do it. Being familiar with Chrysler products and the CAN BUS I highly doubt there is a simple negative trigger coming off the steering column for the horn ring.

Jason
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

I did end up hooking into the positive horn wire at the horns. Connected that to 2 of the wires pre-run out under the hood that come back to the console area and used the 2 relay positive switching system needed for the Astro Spectra.

Jason
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

That was my next suggestion. ..
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Not a huge hassle but with the "nice" module Dodge has to activate wig-wags, brake light wig-wag, etc, you think they would be smart enough to bring out a neg and positive connection for when the horn ring is pressed that could be used in conjuction with the horn mute that already exists. Wonder what the 2011 will hold as far as that goes.

Jason
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

I did an '06 Charger a few years back.. never again if I can avoid it. :o

Does the police package wiring harness still furnish B+ via 18-gauge wire?
Can you still not pull out the front seats without :o ing the air bag sensors?
Is the battery ground for the entire car still a single piece of 8-gauge?

On the one we did we did get the Whelen interface module to enable the wig-wags.. I remember that it had a vehicle speed output and I would've swore that it had horn ring too but I could be mistaken.
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

That's some document by Dodge, much better than previous versions. The beginning looks more like a course in basic DC theory. I have a 2009 version, but never hooked up a siren in it.
Now after reading the entire up fitters guide, from the PTIM it appears that a 9v signal comes out on pin 10 for 2006-07 from the horn ring, I don't see a pin number for 2008-10 MY. I believe this to your siren enable, and the horn mute, necessary when using the siren is on pin 5 for 2006-07, and pin 20 on 2008-10 models it needs 12v to enable. Your going to need a double pole switch to get that to work. One pole to switch the 9v to the siren and the other pole to 12v to shut off the horn. WOW a real PITA, bring back to old horn relay circuit.
Robert2284
New User

Post by Robert2284 »

I've installed these in over 150 Dodge Chargers for almost 3 years now. I used the Dual-Relay setup but still get the sound of the horn when the Siren changes tones. It's the only part I haven't figured out. I disconnect one of the horn leads under the hood, cut the wire in two and splice one wire on each side and run the two wires back through the firewall into the console and reconnect the lead to the horn. This is the way I do it. If anyone knows a better way or how to mute the horn, that inofrmation would be appreciated.

Robert
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

There are 2 horns under the hood. If you tap in within about 6-10" of the horns you have to cut wires running to both horns, not one. You can safely connect them together for the run back to your dual relay setup. Why can you safely do this? Because they only run one wire out to the horns and split it into 2 about 6-10" from the horns. So if you can get back far enough in the harness you really only need to cut one wire.

Jason
ka8ypy

Post by ka8ypy »

I use these for my installs on the Charger (we are also a dealer for them). Makes life so much easier than making your own circuits with extra relays.

http://www.evmodules.com/product_dodge_charger.html

Dan
KA8YPY
Slick Top Solutions
www.slicktopsolutions.com
jaredaggie
New User

Post by jaredaggie »

Does anyone know if this works for dodge rams? We have switched from Ford ambulances to Dodge w/ Cummins 3500. Its a real pain for our folks to have to manually reach for the switch. We run dual sirens, and have always had them out of sight/out of mind.

Both siren's have another switch on the main center console that is really a park kill switch.... so when they turn it "on" its really telling the siren its no longer in park, ie, the front siren is always set to HF and makes noise with horn tap to scroll through siren tones, double tap to go back to mute. Rear siren is always set to wail, so when its turned "on" (out of park kill) it makes wail only. The first siren is still in the electronics cabinet and only set to wail. Second siren is in front of console, but mounted low. On Fords/Chevy's this has never been an issue, but now our front mounted siren isn't hands free anymore, and its a real distraction.

To date we've been told its not possible, but if this holds true for a Ram, we may be in luck? Any successes with this on Rams or just chargers?

Jared
ka8ypy

Post by ka8ypy »

jaredaggie wrote:Does anyone know if this works for dodge rams? We have switched from Ford ambulances to Dodge w/ Cummins 3500. Its a real pain for our folks to have to manually reach for the switch. We run dual sirens, and have always had them out of sight/out of mind.

Both siren's have another switch on the main center console that is really a park kill switch.... so when they turn it "on" its really telling the siren its no longer in park, ie, the front siren is always set to HF and makes noise with horn tap to scroll through siren tones, double tap to go back to mute. Rear siren is always set to wail, so when its turned "on" (out of park kill) it makes wail only. The first siren is still in the electronics cabinet and only set to wail. Second siren is in front of console, but mounted low. On Fords/Chevy's this has never been an issue, but now our front mounted siren isn't hands free anymore, and its a real distraction.

To date we've been told its not possible, but if this holds true for a Ram, we may be in luck? Any successes with this on Rams or just chargers?

Jared
You will have to tap into the horn wiring under the console, no magic module or "easy" breakout as on the PPV Charger.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”