2011 Jeep Patriot Install?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Johnny Grep
What radios do you own?: M/A-COM's

2011 Jeep Patriot Install?

Post by Johnny Grep »

Hello,

We are currently outfitting a 2011 Jeep Patriot for work purposes and need to install a remote head radio in there. If you know the interior of these things, you know it ain't an easy job. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Johnny Grep

Re: 2011 Jeep Patriot Install?

Post by Johnny Grep »

Anyone?

I was thinking about installing the head right in front of the cupholders - there's a small nook where I could stick the remote mount bracket. I haven't test fitted it yet but I think it should work.

No one has ever had to work with these "trucks"?
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

I have no first-hand knowledge of the Patriots... but every Jeep I've ever worked on has been an absolute nightmare. Good luck! :D
Johnny Grep

Post by Johnny Grep »

Yep, I do believe it's going to be a PITA. I might go the HHCH route but I want a privacy handset on my radio.
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

Its a tight vehicle. I've completed 4 installs for a security contractor in the last year all on Patriots and there really isnt ANY room to mount anything.
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
Johnny Grep

Post by Johnny Grep »

apco25 wrote:Its a tight vehicle. I've completed 4 installs for a security contractor in the last year all on Patriots and there really isnt ANY room to mount anything.
Any pics? Details? Which kind of radio, and how did you install them?

I was thinking about installing the radio on the right side of the shifter column. I am desperately trying to avoid doing that as I think it is impractical & quite ugly, frankly. I haven't received the vehicle yet but am looking for ideas... I might go the HHCH route Motorola-wise but am going to need another radio with a handset, so I still need to mount a head at the very least.
KG6EAQ
Batboard $upporter

Post by KG6EAQ »

I haven't had the pleasure of working on a Patriot, but on the Cherokee's (Which is a crummy interior too) I normally put the remote mount head above the rear view mirror, between the visors. I'll also run a cable to extend the microphone down to a usable area.
-Robert F.
KG6EAQ
wnyevs
What radios do you own?: CDM1250 VHF, XTS3000 M1 UHF

Post by wnyevs »

I have not worked on the patriot yet but I have worked on the 2010 Liberty. Talk about a PITA!

Go nice and slow with the trim pieces that clip in, they are super fragile! There are also screws in the most akward places holding these trim pieces in (I think 7mm or 9mm heads)
Carl Bourke - Owner
WNY Emergency Vehicle Solutions
www.wnyevs.com
owner@wnyevs.com
bona
New User

Post by bona »

Its a tight vehicle. :lol:
I might go the HHCH route Motorola-wise but am going to need another radio with a handset, so I still need to mount a head at the very least.
I am 25 & Like sports very much
KE7JFF
What radios do you own?: MX300 lunchbox

Post by KE7JFF »

Across the street from my work site has G4S for Security and they have Patriots and Compasses; last time I chatted with one their guys, it looked like they removed the little console between the seats and put in some sort of radio box to hold a XTL5000. Werid, I know, but it worked.
Mountain Wave Search & Rescue http://www.mwave.org
Support Search & Rescue: Get Lost!
kds
New User

Post by kds »

Any other takes on this install or pictures? Just picked up a 2011 Patriot and looking for ideas. Might need to downsize the number of radios. Any experiences with RAM Mounts?
kds
New User

Post by kds »

I ended up installing only an Icom ID-800H ham rig and a Uniden BCD996T scanner. Mounted the 800H transmitter under the passenger's seat, ran a cable up to the control head above the mirror under the headliner. Scanner went in the glove compartment. Bolted one Moto speaker underneath the glove compartment and the other onto the passenger's seat by the shifter. Will eventually add an RH-96 for the scanner, but unsure as to where to put it yet. If I add another radio, it will probably be Moto, and I'll put everything under the seat and attach the control head to a RAM Mount.
W6WAW

Post by W6WAW »

I have a friend who needed to mount two radios and a scanner in a Volvo wagon. He ended up having a custom mount fabricated that consists of a mounting post secured to a bracket that goes under the seat bolts of the front passenger seat. A second custom bracket is attached to the post to hold the radios (commercial ICOMs and the scanner).

He took his design to a small metal fabrication shop along with the car and the radios and they built it up for him. (The shop is in the San Francisco bay area in Northern California.) It is a very clean install and one of the few ways to professionally mount radios or control heads in his vehicle.

This could probably be adapted to the Jeep Patriot or other vehicles. It is also a "no-holes" solution since it is held in place by the existing seat bolts. The key is finding a shop to build it.
Johnny Grep

Post by Johnny Grep »

kds wrote:I ended up installing only an Icom ID-800H ham rig and a Uniden BCD996T scanner. Mounted the 800H transmitter under the passenger's seat, ran a cable up to the control head above the mirror under the headliner. Scanner went in the glove compartment. Bolted one Moto speaker underneath the glove compartment and the other onto the passenger's seat by the shifter. Will eventually add an RH-96 for the scanner, but unsure as to where to put it yet. If I add another radio, it will probably be Moto, and I'll put everything under the seat and attach the control head to a RAM Mount.
Which RAM Mount would fit the trick? I already have a custom-made pole that is designed to fit a RAM Tough-Tray + a Tele-Pole with an articulated arm. I'd like to use this to fit a remote control head if possible. It would beat sticking it between the pax seat and the console itself... kinda looks ghetto. I almost fitted the remote control head on top of the vents but I thought it was too much in view from the outside.

Thanks
kds
New User

Post by kds »

Johnny Grep wrote:
kds wrote:I ended up installing only an Icom ID-800H ham rig and a Uniden BCD996T scanner. Mounted the 800H transmitter under the passenger's seat, ran a cable up to the control head above the mirror under the headliner. Scanner went in the glove compartment. Bolted one Moto speaker underneath the glove compartment and the other onto the passenger's seat by the shifter. Will eventually add an RH-96 for the scanner, but unsure as to where to put it yet. If I add another radio, it will probably be Moto, and I'll put everything under the seat and attach the control head to a RAM Mount.
Which RAM Mount would fit the trick? I already have a custom-made pole that is designed to fit a RAM Tough-Tray + a Tele-Pole with an articulated arm. I'd like to use this to fit a remote control head if possible. It would beat sticking it between the pax seat and the console itself... kinda looks ghetto. I almost fitted the remote control head on top of the vents but I thought it was too much in view from the outside.

Thanks
I haven't dealt much with RAM mounts (because I haven't needed to in the past, and a lack of local dealers) but I'm thinking the universal under-seat mount with RAM-HOL-UN4U, the universal mount, but looking at it again, the fingers don't look very long/deep. Definitely not big enough for an A9, but might be suitable for an O5. There might be ones better suited for different applications, but I haven't really compared and measured mounts vs. heads since I'm not there yet. I wish there was a local dealer where I can look and play with them a little bit. It would be great if I could use a RAM mount since everything is under the passenger's seat.

What are you trying to mount? Yikes, there's not much room between the center console and the seat.
Johnny Grep

Post by Johnny Grep »

kds wrote:I haven't dealt much with RAM mounts (because I haven't needed to in the past, and a lack of local dealers) but I'm thinking the universal under-seat mount with RAM-HOL-UN4U, the universal mount, but looking at it again, the fingers don't look very long/deep. Definitely not big enough for an A9, but might be suitable for an O5. There might be ones better suited for different applications, but I haven't really compared and measured mounts vs. heads since I'm not there yet. I wish there was a local dealer where I can look and play with them a little bit. It would be great if I could use a RAM mount since everything is under the passenger's seat.

What are you trying to mount? Yikes, there's not much room between the center console and the seat.
I am thinking about using a RAM-HOL-UN4U with a remote head radio, but am not sure it'll fit either. I am thinking about mounting it on the laptop mount's pole using a RAM-B-108U-GP1 V-Base strap mount.

As for what I am trying to mount, at this time it's a remote head M7100IP and a Kenwood NX700 might follow later.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”