Spectra A7 head but no ignition sense on cable?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ncerm
New User

Spectra A7 head but no ignition sense on cable?

Post by ncerm »

I have a low power spectra with a7 head but the cable just has a speaker jack. I tried putting power to pin 5 and it won't power up. I haven't seen anyone discuss a remote head with the ignition sense not on the cable so I'm wondering in anyone knows about this?
Spiffy50

Re: Spectra A7 head but no ignition sense on cable?

Post by Spiffy50 »

Is the radio itself dead? You could also check the jumper configuration in the control head to see if it requires ignition sense to turn on or not.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

ncerm wrote:I have a low power spectra with a7 head but the cable just has a speaker jack. I tried putting power to pin 5 and it won't power up. I haven't seen anyone discuss a remote head with the ignition sense not on the cable so I'm wondering in anyone knows about this?

The remote rear cables do not have the ignitions wires. The radio is ignition powered by the front cable.

If your real careful and have a Dremil drill, you can modify the cable to add the missing 2 wires.

It takes some slow work to modify the connector, but it can be done. I have done it to a number of rear control cables myself. Needed some normal control cables for a Spectra and couldn't find any when I needed them.

You first remove the metal retaining clip from the control head end of the cable. Then slowly remove the molded material with the Dremil drill from the side the clip covers above the pins you need to add. Do not take the material off in the area of the pins. Do it to the rear of the ledge molded in the connector. Off the top of my head, I forget which pins are lacking, but there is one on each side of the connector.

If you look carefully there is a white nylon type fill pin in the holes right now. When you get down to the area of the rear where the back of the pins should be, there are other wires there. Don't damage them. I then take a large paper clip and unfold one end. This is the tool that I use to push back the white plug used to fill the hole. Grab it with a small long nose pliers and pull it out. Then take a female pin from a DB15 or what ever size you have and crimp a wire on it. I use a green and orange wire just to match what should be there. Then push the female pin into the hole left by the plug you just removed. Make sure how you route the new wires so that they will fit around where the metal retaining clip goes. Fill the holes up with RTV and let it dry. Put the metal clip back on and your in business.

The modification might not look the best, but then who is looking at the back of a control head.

Jim
JeffFireRadio

Post by JeffFireRadio »

The control cable for the second ("rear", usually) control head only had a speaker connection. I'm guessing that's the cable you have and not the standard control head cable (or "front" as most applications call it). The standard 17' cable is an HKN4356B. If that's not what you're using, you'll need to acquire one. Hope this helps.

- Jeff

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”