Motorola's Police Car of the Future

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

bezking
What radios do you own?: /\/\

Motorola's Police Car of the Future

Post by bezking »

Thought this might be of interest. Notice how they call the APX7500's control head "old school" 8)

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2011/aut ... index.html
The bandsplit is only a suggestion.

escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: Motorola's Police Car of the Future

Post by escomm »

motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Aaaaand it runs on Windows XP. What was that cut-off date from Microsoft again?
WCHija
What radios do you own?: XPR 7550 & XPR 5550

Post by WCHija »

Where are we supposed to get the money for all this? I still have a spectra in my 117675 mile car and a computer that works when its convieneint and no money to hire to fill our vacant positions.
Semper Fidelis

Some Cops are Perfect, the rest ride in patrol cars!
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

motorola_otaku wrote:Aaaaand it runs on Windows XP. What was that cut-off date from Microsoft again?
wish they'd bring it back, windows 7 is garbage
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

Checkout Rockwell Colins iForce system

http://www.rockwellcollins.com/Data/Pro ... ution.aspx

YouTube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyv7EaGA-RU

I note that it's Linux based.
WCHija

Post by WCHija »

Computerized integration looks great, but its all going to be a tough sell. Having to boot my computer before I can use my lights or open a gun lock is not good. What happens when I get an emergency call while im walking to my car at the begining of my shift? Or when Ive been at the station writing reports long enough for the power timer to shut everything off? What happens when the system freezes when im in a pursuit?
Semper Fidelis

motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

System crashes/freezes won't be an issue with a Linux-based system. 8)

The power-down issue will probably have to be resolved with more capacity (batteries) and a sleep timer that puts the system in low-power standby mode. I'd be surprised if the Rockwell-Collins system doesn't already support it.
KE7JFF
What radios do you own?: MX300 lunchbox

Post by KE7JFF »

After seeing a car mount for an iPad, I'm pretty sure the future will be all that hilarious.
Mountain Wave Search & Rescue http://www.mwave.org
Support Search & Rescue: Get Lost!
Winger2002

Post by Winger2002 »

Deleted my other post, here is an article with video,

http://gizmodo.com/5863979/you-cant-run ... the-future

Instant on OS's are already out there
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

"You Can't Run From the Cop Car of the Future..."

Unless Windows BSODs, then you get a 10-minute head start while the officer reboots.
WCHija

Post by WCHija »

Which is why im not crazy about being so dependent on tech.
Semper Fidelis

HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

I havn't seen many cops in my area that can stay off of their phone (and breaking the law by talking & driving) so how are they going to be able to pay attention to anything else?
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
WCHija

Post by WCHija »

Really? I can talk on the radio while driving code three, but talking on the phone upsets you?

1. In most states there is an exception for cops, since we are using radios, computers, and phones (in the old days Dept. issued phones) to keep the commnity you live in safe.

2. Most cops I know are making those phone calls to handle complaints over the phone, many people just want to talk to a cop and vent, personal appearance not needed. Saves time, gas, and keeps us where we need to be.

3. Many of us frequently have to use the cell phone and computer (when it works) because we cant get a voice channel.

Why is it that when someone sees a cop doing anything, it must be wrong? If staffing were at appropriate levels, we would not need phones. Nor would I be talking to a complaining party of one call, while driving to another call. Hmmm.
Semper Fidelis

MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

WCHija wrote:Where are we supposed to get the money for all this? I still have a spectra in my 117675 mile car and a computer that works when its convieneint and no money to hire to fill our vacant positions.

THIS.
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

PD here is disbatched first thru MDT then 2way if they don't respond to the MDT. I service and install them here. PD don't issue phones to theese guys. I know different states and areas do things different but around here the PD is not exempt from that. So what does bother me is that they wouldn't have a problem giving someone else a ticket for it when they do it themselves. And on top of that 5 of the last 8 accidents PD has been involved in was over them talking on the phone and driving. You never see the engineer on a firetruck or an ambulance driver talking on the phone and driving around here either. Just because somebody is a cop don't give them the right to break the law. But if your department issues them and that's your main means of communication then tha's different, I have heard that a couple departments in Missouri use Nextel for everything?
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”