hf antenna install on 94 s-10 pick and 91 s-10 blazer?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

sglass
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: sonic screwdriver

hf antenna install on 94 s-10 pick and 91 s-10 blazer?

Post by sglass »

I plan to get 2 more icom 706mk2g's this summer

for vhf/uhf I'll run my standard 5/8 larsen and 1/4 wave uhf

for 6m and down I was thinkign a ball mount on the right side with 9 foot whip for 6/10/12/15

but I was also thinking if I get a 20 meter antenna I should load up on 6/10/20 and maybe 40 with the at180 antenna tuner.

Right now at home I am using a full wave 6 meter dipole at home and a 4:1 lg balun

it loads up (with the tuner) on 6m/10/12/20/40/80m

I'd like to do something for the car that loads on 6/10/20/40(I could live without 40) without having to change resonators - keep in mind I'll be using the at180 auto tuner.

thoughts?
gws
Batboard $upporter

Post by gws »

First thing to remember is just because it loads up and you have a good SWR it may not be a good antenna. A 6m dipole on 80m radiate worth a darn.

Now the 706 issues. A Good ball mount on the side of truck gives you a good platform for antennas. A metal CB whip tuned with a ah-4 tuner will give you good performance on 6,10,12,17,20, provide a usable signal on 40m and will load on 80m but will not radiate worth a darn. Using an SGC tuner will improve things a bit but not much.

A hustler resonator system will give you 3 bands at a time. You can go with a ham stick and a tuner, An 80m hamstick is god on 80/40/15 a 20m hamstick will tun the rest so your down to 2 antennas.

I have a 9ft whip I keep on my tahoe most of the time and switch to the hamstick when I need a good 80m antenna.
Gary N8EMR
wa2zdy

Post by wa2zdy »

GWS is correct, though I disagree about the usable signal on 40 with CB whip. My experience was that 20 was the lowest band I could use a whip on. I used a Dentron Super Tuner antenna tuner for that.

I'm glad to know Hamsticks will load up as described. I'm currently working on getting my TS140 in my truck and I'll have my SGC230 to work with as well. The Big M ball and spring are already on the way to me!

Good luck,
Chris,
Hamming 31 years
http://www.wa2zdy.com
Wesley Chapel, Pasco County, Florida
Snow? What's that?!
The human race is proof that Darwin was wrong.
sglass
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: sonic screwdriver

Post by sglass »

I'd actually be ok with 6-20m

I''ve seen the hustler antennas, I'm tryign to keep my truck from getting loaded with stuff though.

Seth
wa2zdy

Post by wa2zdy »

I used a Hustler set up for a few years. I worked mostly 20, 30, and 40 - CW (yes, mobile, while driving. Yes, I consider myself good enough with CW to do that.) Now my brother swears the Hamstick is a much better antenna than a Hustler, so I don't know. But I do know I worked the world from the car, including on 40.

I meant to add to my post above, the antenna tuner may show a perfect SWR to your rig, but I used to put my hand on top of the Dentron when trying to load up that CB whip on 40m and the box was rather warm. 1w for the whip, 99w for the tuner. Not good.
Chris,
Hamming 31 years
http://www.wa2zdy.com
Wesley Chapel, Pasco County, Florida
Snow? What's that?!
The human race is proof that Darwin was wrong.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”