Low band extender option

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

What exactly does the extender option do? I have not found or heard any performance difference... Thanks!
Vern

Post by Vern »

The "extender" option is found on low band radios. It is essentially a noise blanker. A second receiver in the radio listens for noise impulses and blanks the main receiver audio when it hears an impulse. Too much noise and the extender shuts itself off to avoid chopping up the audio. If you normally have a fully quieted signal, you may not notice its operation, but in weak signal areas, I've noticed a big difference. It's especially useful in gasoline engines to supress spark noise. I've seen its operation descibed it some manuals, Micor 30-50 Mhz mobiles, for example.
jim

Post by jim »

I think someone better take their Prozac.
phrawg

Post by phrawg »

Well Jim I guess you better take a big dose because Vern is exactly right. The "extender" circuit in lo band radios is very effective especially since it uses a rf sample just above the desired signal to trigger it. // did a good job on that one.
I have the extender option in a lo band mitrfek i have on 6 mreter ham and it has save me a contact or 2 in a noisy area.
Dick
Cowthief
Fail 01/90

Post by Cowthief »

Correct, my mocom 70, on 6 meter, works great with the extender option, perhaps someone needs me the scan and post the S/M?.
In San Antonio, Texas on 52.525Mhz

My $1.00, inflated.
StanComm

Post by StanComm »

Both the Radius and Maxtrac Lo-Band radios have the Extender feature too. If you do a second "long push" on the MON(itor) button, you can toggle it on and off, a little Minus sign shows up in the display of the rigs which have the digital channel display when it's been turned off.
Stan

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”