Spectra Scanning

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

posse401
What radios do you own?: MT2000, Saber I, SP50, Spectra

Spectra Scanning

Post by posse401 »

I just installed a Spectra in my vehicle for work and cannot for the life of me figure out the scan correctly? Does anyone have some good instructions they could post. I can get it into select mode, but not sure what effects the PRI, NONPRI, and the flashing PRI have on the mode?

Any help is appreciated.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Look a few posts below for the same topic
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
grinthock

Post by grinthock »

Hold down scan, wait for program mode to start, flick through selections presseing SEL to add to list.

home to exit.

that's basically it
RKG

Post by RKG »

Assuming this is a conventional, non-zonable radio capable of scan:

From Radio-Wide, hit F6 and set the radio-wide scan options.

From Control Head, be sure one button is defined for scan.

From Conventional, set the scan options you want. If you want priority and non-priority members of the radio-wide scan list to be programmable by the user from the control head, enable "Op Select".

For each "Mode" for which you want the radio to be scan capable, "enable" scan on the main mode screen.

From any scan enabled "Mode," hit F6 and create a default scan list.

Write to the radio.

Normally, so long as the radio is selected on a mode for which scan has been enabled, a short press of the scan button turns scan on and off. A long press of the button puts the radio in scan list program mode (if enabled); one then cycles through the modes and uses the "sel" button to toggle the mode in or out of the list, and give it a priority (if priority is used and user-programmable). Hit Home to exit scan list programming mode.

For zonable Spectras, you can create a separate scan list for each zone. The process is about the same, except that the default scan lists are created from the zone screens, not the mode screen.

The step that catches most Spectra newbies is that you can't program a scan list from the control head unless a default scan list has first been programmed into the radio.

I'm told there are some Spectras that don't scan (though I've never encountered one).
posse401

Post by posse401 »

The problem I am having now is it will only pick up traffic on certain channels. I know there is traffic on some channels that are in the scan list and it won't pick it up. But if I go to that channel it will. Also, if I am on a channel and the radio is in the scan mode, some channels it will not pick up the traffic, but as soon as you take the mic off the clip it will be audible.
Mike B

Post by Mike B »

Are you familiar with Continuous Tone Coded Sub-audible Squelch (CTCSS) or Private Line (PL)? CTCSS is the generic version and PL is Motorola's version of the same thing. It is a signaling system that only allows your receiver squelch to open when the correct programmed tone is received (whoever programmed your radio picked the PL tones).

Digital Coded Squelch (DCS) or Digital Private Line (DPL) is a similar system, except it uses a digital code instead of a tone.

This is commonly used when different people/groups/companies/agencies etc. all share the same frequency. It prevents you from having to listen to radio traffic that you really do not want to hear in the first place. The problem is the frequency can already be busy when you want to use it. If you can not hear that the frequency is busy, then you will pick up your microphone and transmit right on top of someone else causing harmful interference. The solution is to disable your receiver PL squelch that only opens for its own special PL tone, whenever the microphone is removed from the hang-up clip. It is simple, pick up the microphone to transmit and you can now hear if the frequency is really in use or clear for you to use.

I suspect you have receive PL tones programmed into your radio, so you do not hear anyone without the matching PL tone. That is until you remove the microphone from its hang-up clip.

If the scan is programmed with "Coded Squelch Scan" set to enabled, then the scan will also not hear any signals without the matching PL tone.

If you really want to hear ALL the radio traffic on a given frequency, you should re-program your radio and remove any unwanted receive PL tones (i.e. set them to Carrier squelch).
Jim202

Spectra scan problem.

Post by Jim202 »

[quote="posse401"]The problem I am having now is it will only pick up traffic on certain channels. I know there is traffic on some channels that are in the scan list and it won't pick it up. But if I go to that channel it will. Also, if I am on a channel and the radio is in the scan mode, some channels it will not pick up the traffic, but as soon as you take the mic off the clip it will be audible.[/quote]

You have the wrong CTCSS tone programmed into the radio. Find out what tone each of the channels should have and then go back into the radio programming and change the RX tone setting. You might want to check the TX tone while your there.

Jim
posse401

Post by posse401 »

It only does not pick up the traffic while on scan. If the mic is on the clip while not scanning it will pick up the traffic just fine.
Mike B

Post by Mike B »

Then you are not using the scan correctly. If the PRI is flashing, PRI is on or NOPRI is on, then you are not actually scanning at that time. It means the scan is stopped on an active frequency, even if you do not hear anything in the speaker. The PRI and NONPRI must not be lit, the scan button light should be lit (but not flashing) and a valid scan list needs to have already been entered for the scan to work.

You may also not have programmed your scan list correctly and you might not be scanning the modes you think you are. Hold the SCAN button until its light flashes, then keep pressing the RCL key to review the scan list (it will cycle through the scan list one mode at a time). Press HOME when you are done looking at the scan list.

Some radios are programmed for Scan Off Hang-Up Box (HUB). The scan will stop whenever the microphone is removed from the HUB clip and one of the PRI or NONPRI lights will be lit. The scan will resume when the mic is replaced in the clip and there is no longer any activity on the current scan mode. If there is no activity on the selected mode and the mic is removed, the scan is off and stuck on the selected mode until the mic is replaced (the PRI or NOPRI lights will clue you in to this). Used correctly, scan off HUB is a great feature.

You can only hear one single active non-priority scan mode at a time. Only a priority scan mode can interrupt a non-priority scan mode or a lower priority scan mode and switch to the active priority mode.

The radio should work once you get your brane programmed :).
grinthock

Post by grinthock »

Quick question....

How does the radio know it's off the clip?
RKG

Post by RKG »

The hang up clip has to be grounded, which makes it electrically in common with the radio chassis. The radio tests for this via the button on the back of the mike.

You can simulate hang up by resting the mike on the heat sink fins so that the button on the back is making contact with the fins.
Mike B

Post by Mike B »

I forgot to mention that if you hold the MON key down, you can set monitor on or off at the control head. If you set it ON, it will disable receive PL/DPL no matter where the microphone is placed. If you have scan off HUB programmed, the mic must still be on the HUB clip to scan.

If I remember correctly, the flashing PRI is primary priority, the steady PRI is secondary priority and the steady NONPRI is non-priority. You can only have up to 1 primary priority, up to 1 secondary priority and up to 16 non-priority scan modes. The maximum limit is 16 total (combined priority and non-priority) and the SELMOD (i.e. mode selected on the control head) is always included in the scan at whatever priority you assign.

Also, when operator select is enabled and you are using the RCL key to look at scan list modes (with the SCAN key light flashing), you can use the MODE rocker to select new scan modes and add them with the SEL key. The SEL key can also change the priority of a mode already in the scan list. The DEL key will remove a mode from the scan list.

There are some older Systems 9000 microphones with a button on the back that do not need a grounded HUB clip, but my buttons have failed sooner or later. The strain relief hook on these mic cords only work with the A9, B9, C9 or E9 head.

I assumed you have an A7 or A9 conventional radio, not an A3, A4 or A5 and not a trunking radio. The RCL and DEL keys are only on the A7 or A9 and trunking radios can have other scan issues beyond what is needed for a conventional radio.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”