Maxtrac and COS

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mac70pete

Post by mac70pete »

Is there a way to get a carrier operated squelch audio output from the MaxTrac 300 with the 16 pin connector? I looked at the options in the RSS but couldn't find that option. When I tried it off of the "RX audio" pin but it didn't mute itself when the squelch closed. Any ideas?

Peter
mac70pete

Post by mac70pete »

Also, if someone could tell me how I set the squelch in the Maxtrac, that woukd be great (not sure if you fo it in the rss or inside the radio.)

Peter
Al

Post by Al »

All of the 800 Mhz trunked Maxtracs had a TTL level COS point available on the logic PCB. On some it was was silkscreened in white, and on others it wasn't. I suspect your logic board has the same point available. When Mot modified these 800Mhz units for use in SCADA systems, they tacked in a short wire on the logic board between the CSQ point(collector of a transistor) and a spare pin on the filter board(which the front lpanel boards plug into) so that the CSQ appeared on the PB1 pin of the mic connector. If you need further specifics, email me.
Al

Post by Al »

Sorry, in my previous post I did not read your question carefully. What you are really asking is "How do I get muted audio from the 16 pin accessory connector on my Maxtrac?". There's a jumper header on the logic board that will control whether you get unmuted audio at pin 11 of the acc connector or muted audio. That's JU551. In the A position, audio is flat and unmuted. Make sure to check that JU551 is in the B position to get deemphasized and muted audio at the acc connector. Also, there's a hard pot on the RF board labelled SQ that will let you set the squelch opening threshold.
mac70pete

Post by mac70pete »

You see what happens is normally audio comes out of pin 11 but when nothing is being recieved a squelch noise is heard. I do not want this. I only want it to work when audio is recieved. Also, does anyone understand how the priority scan works on the radio?
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

On 2001-10-14 17:18, mac70pete wrote:
You see what happens is normally audio comes out of pin 11 but when nothing is being recieved a squelch noise is heard. I do not want this. I only want it to work when audio is recieved. Also, does anyone understand how the priority scan works on the radio?
Priority scan works like this.

Hold the scan button for 2 seconds to access the scan list modification mode. Go to the channel that you want as a priority by using the up and down keys. Next, hold the +/- key for two seconds until the radio beeps and the scan LED flashes. You have just added that channel as priority channel number one. You can add a second priority channel by doing the same thing on a different channel. To remove a channel as the priority channel, you must delete the channel from the scan list- this deletes both priority channel.

I hope this helps you out. Drop me a line, Pete, you know who this is!
-Josh
mac70pete

Post by mac70pete »

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Now, is there a way to scan the entire radio as opposed to the user list? I figure that when you get the light next to the user to disappear, it would, but I can't figure out how to do that.
raymond345

Post by raymond345 »

Scan in the maxtrac is only done by RSS per channel. very different from radios like radius or gm300 etc. Raymond ve3hae@rac.ca
eacradio

Post by eacradio »

In answer to your orginal question, You can program one of the pins, normally pin 8 on the 16 pin plug via the software, to do the COS or COR operation, this will give you a positive or pull to ground on the pin when a signal is received with or without PL depending on how you set it. Go to Radio Wide Configuration, then F9 and set the pins.

Pin 11 will give you muted or unmuted audio depending on the setting of Jumper JU551 on the logic board. "A" gives unmuted or open squelch and "B" gives muted or squelched output.

Hope this helps.
Keep on talking
Jack

Post by Jack »

What do you program pin 8 as? I don't see one specific function named COS or COR for this pin, but it has about 10 different options.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jack on 2001-12-20 11:12 ]</font>
CATAWBA911

Post by CATAWBA911 »

I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM THAT YOU ARE MAC
eacradio

Post by eacradio »

Pin 8 should give you an option for PL/DPL CSQ Detect. You can then program it high or low pull.
Keep on talking

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”