Some General radio questions??

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Gman
What radios do you own?: Too many

Post by Gman »

Hello everybody. I have a few radio questions that I always wondered about. First, what does the "JEDI" series ht1000 mean.Is this a special ht1000 or just another series like "a" "b" series radios.Is the "JEDI" series also used for other radios. Second, what does a key loader do for the saber radios. I am assuming it has to do with the system key, but I thought that was done through the rss. Lastly, and I know this has been a bad question in the past, what does a system key generator do. I have heard about this in previous posts. Now I do not have this, I just want information to better educate myself,which is what this board is for. Thanx to everyone for there time..
Monty
Administrator

Post by Monty »

Hi:

The " Jedi " as you have described it, is a
Class of radio similar to the HT1000's / MTS200's but it is " Programmable " with the
keypad on the front of the radio when a program Key is attached. When the " Key" ( which is nothing more than a diode ) is placed accross the right contacts, you can
program the radio to any freqs within its range.

Keyloaders such as the T3010 / 3011 DES / DES-XL are " Code " programmers to Encrypt
the Audio of the radio to a Digital format
to make it very tough if not impossible for
someone to listen in on your conversation.

Unless the other radios are equipt with the same code, they will not easily be able to
monitor your traffic.

So called Key Generators are Motorolas propriartory way of preventing other persons
from setting up a trunked radios on Gov Controlled Freqs, and you would be well advised to stay way from SW that is Propriatory to Motorola.

In other words, you must have a System Key
SW in order to load Radios for a spacific
Trunk Radio System. That way it keeps the
txxxl heads from interfearing with emergency
traffic

MS
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Jedi series radios are a line of radios that are basically the same internally and externally, but have distinct differences in features. Think of it as American car makers...Dodge Neon, Plymouth Neon...essentially the same cars, but differences. This lets Motorola market several types of radios, but uses the same replacement parts.

The "keyloaders" are what transmit a certain code or codes to a securenet (encryption enabled) radio to operate in a secure system. You must have a radio that is capable of supporting this feature. Such are certain Sabers, Astro Sabers, Spectra's, Astro Spectra's and X9000's. In addition to having the radio secure capable, you also need the proper chip installed in the radio.

With this, its an all or nothing game. If the radios have 123456789 as the code in the radio, and you have 123456788, you will not be able to decode it, not even part of it.

System keys are a software file that is loaded into RSS, then into the radio to allow operation on a trunked system.
JoeO

Post by JoeO »

Jedi was the project name before the radio comes to fruition.(Before they actually name the radio) Other examples: Yoda was Gp300, P110. P200/HT600 series was Genesis. Some of the older radios? Have heard Handie-Com was LCP,(Low Cost Portable) and HT220 was "KelKiller". They were using Indian names on service monitors, the old 2001 I believe was called the Apache project. Any one think of any others? Longhorn bus! (Most likely Motorola Texas)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JoeO on 2001-10-17 18:11 ]</font>
Tony Soprano
Batboard $upporter

Post by Tony Soprano »

My favorite is the Gremlin series, or the P50, P10, HT10, et al. Very appropriate in this tech's opinion.

Tony
phrawg

Post by phrawg »

To add on to the first response though, not all "jedi" were keypad programmable. IN fact only one was. The JT1000. And it was as Monty said programmable with a "key" and a password after the key was on it and it was put in user prog mode. Latest series is "waris" (where do they get these names ?)
And Tony, on the "gremlin" yes ! a complete agreement Hee Hee .
Gman
What radios do you own?: Too many

Post by Gman »

Thank you for the responses. I figured that was all it meant.
10-95
Fail 001 "Brain out of Lock"

Post by 10-95 »

Basicly someone in the design deptartment was a big Sci-Fi fan.Think about it:

Saber(Star wars)
Jedi(Star wars)
Genesis(Star trek : The Wrath of KAHN, 1982)
Astro(I don't know , maybe the jetsons!)
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

Well, part of the reason I use this handle of mine is because Astro is sort of my pet technology.

Trivia: What's the project name of the STX radios?

What's the project name of the synthesized MX radios, too?

Elroy

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”