HT800 "Special Product" for US Navy Seals??

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Keygun

HT800 "Special Product" for US Navy Seals??

Post by Keygun »

Hi folks.

Does anybody ever heard of an (i guess) special product HT800, which
was made exclusively for the Navy Seals. It has 16 channels (2 switchable banks with 8 channels each) and integrated DES-encryption. Since there is not much space left in the radio and it doesn`t uses an different front (like the MT1000-signalling fronts), it seems the encryption is integrated right in the controller module (encryption "on-board"). As for my part, i have never seen such an animal, but some days ago a guy offered me two of them. I`m still waiting for some pictures. Any informations out there??

Regards

Keygun
MotoVio
was VioLenT

Post by MotoVio »

Hello.

It is my understanding that the HT800 is the European Version of the American HT600, and the HT600 could not do any more than 6 channels.

Vio 8)
jnglmassiv
Batboard $upporter

Post by jnglmassiv »

Please pass those photos around if you get a chance. I think its fair to say that we are all fans of SP radios, particularly spooky military items.
10-95
Fail 001 "Brain out of Lock"

Post by 10-95 »

We need a Spooky SP photo gallery here on the site. I'll submit my pictures of my Systems Saber -X lunchbox. I'm sure that we have enough members with SP stuff out there to do a gallery.

Frank
Firebuff66
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by Firebuff66 »

Having worked with Seal team 1 once....Nothing exciteing I was fixing a pump on one of their boats
Anyway they had Motorola Saber-R radios on them I used one for testing the pump with their boat driver. It was simplex on 412mhz.
They also had some XTS3000s in a bank charger but i didnt get to look at them, UHF i think.
I did work with the USSS at the 2002 Olympics and we used the XTS3000s in digital mode and encrypted on VHF for security. DOD was there using the Sabers but analog and encrypted, but they had alot of coverage problems. We had 12 diffrent radio systems hooked thru a JPS. the first few days were intresting getting people to wait to talk LOL

Jon
Keygun

Post by Keygun »

jnglmassiv wrote:Please pass those photos around if you get a chance. I think its fair to say that we are all fans of SP radios, particularly spooky military items.
Yes, me too. I forgot to add that the radios are highpower (5W), VHF high-split (157 - 174Mc). From a special product i have expected at least a more cool (wider) frequency-range....

Keygun
gp900

Post by gp900 »

Yes the HT800 is a European model, used heavily by UK police forces from the late 80's, some still use them if they haven’t yet gone to Tetra. I have a fleet of about 40 in my hire fleet many still prefer them over newer models due to there superior rugedness. Here’s a picImage
1 Adam 12
sk

HT800

Post by 1 Adam 12 »

Just a couple of things to consider.... usually most common freqs utilized are VHF 138-149MHZ and UHF 380- 430 MHZ. The primary radios in the last two decades have been MX-MX-Rs, then Saber and Saber R, followed by Astro Saber / R and XTSs.. Also throw in some Racals, Datrons etc. that being said doesn't mean that they where not used by them for some reason.. or in conjunction with someone else. Questions to ask...why would it have a European Product label if its for US Military ????... is it really DES considering its an export radio and at the time was on the restricted list ???? See if you can get an SP # and Model # and post it. More likely a radio from a police or government agency ...but anything is possible..
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

I never say never with Motorola products as many SP products were made over the years, if you had a special need and were willing to order enough they'd basically make you anything you wanted. But, I doubt very much that Navy Seals used an export version of a US product, think your seller might be stretching things. Prior to the Saber-R such military units used ruggedized MX's. Also I doubt the DES capability, there were simple inversion units made like the extended front cover you described for this radio series so that might be the case. Guess a DES board could be adapted from an Expo but would need a KVL connection.
Ed

Post by Ed »

VioLenT wrote:Hello.

It is my understanding that the HT800 is the European Version of the American HT600, and the HT600 could not do any more than 6 channels.

Vio 8)
Not correct, the HT800 has 2 or 8 channels. I owned one with 16 channels.

Ed
"American beer is like making love in a canoo. It's both f*cking close to water."
(Monty Python's Flying Circus)
gp900

Post by gp900 »

correct all my hire fleet are 8 channel models
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

With Motorola, you are right, they will make anything for anybody for a price, starting at about 10 K. While working for a M dealer, we were pressed into SP service a number of times due to the customer not willing to pay the 10K for the SP product. Now as far as DES HT800, I'm not sure the modulator could do it, but I have heard and seen a demiled HT220 that supposedly had a DES variant in it.
Cowthief
Fail 01/90

HT220 DES.

Post by Cowthief »

Hello.

There were HT220s with DES.
This was a military depot mod done.
The HT220 was used due to the fact that the battery life of an HT220 is MUCH longer then the MT500, the replacement.
The US secret service had done some major mods on the HT220 in the past.
http://www.batnet.com/mfwright/secretservice220.html
There is a government special of the XTS5000 that can be put underwater to 30 feet.
This is done in part with a rubber jacket and in part a special housing.
There is also an ultrasonic transducer for diving, but this may not be a motorola product.
All in all, there have been some very unusual specials made, look at the HT220 pages and you will see what I mean.
http://www.batnet.com/mfwright/HT220specials.html

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”