SPECTRA PROGRAM ?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

BFD319

SPECTRA PROGRAM ?

Post by BFD319 »

I just got a low power UHF spectra. when I read the radio it only has 12 channels programed in from the user before me. my ? is when I try and ad more channels because it says 128 channels it comes up check your users guide. any help on getting the radio to do 128 channels
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Re: SPECTRA PROGRAM ?

Post by kc7gr »

BFD319 wrote:I just got a low power UHF spectra. when I read the radio it only has 12 channels programed in from the user before me. my ? is when I try and ad more channels because it says 128 channels it comes up check your users guide. any help on getting the radio to do 128 channels
I ran into something similar on a customer's Spectra. The radio had been bit-hacked by God only knows who to try and stick 255 modes in it (not physically possible due to memory limitations).

The corruption was so bad that the only way to fix it was to force a known-good codeplug into the radio, and clean up from there (some bit-banging was also required, as it was originally an A7 radio that was using an A9 head).

Bit-banging, BTW, is not something I'd recommend for the casual user. It requires the right software, a knowledge of hexadecimal notation, and considerable patience.

(I've edited this post from the original version. In the original, I made an erroneous reference to blanking and reinitializing the radio's command board. This is not possible with a Spectra, short of replacing the MLM. I was, at the time, probably thinking "Maxtrac" while typing about the Spectra. Ooops!)

Keep the peace(es).
Last edited by kc7gr on Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."
BFD319

spectra channels

Post by BFD319 »

thanks for the reply and offer KC7GR but I got it to work.
BFD319

SPECTRA

Post by BFD319 »

one more problem just came up, can;t get the radio to get into a zone list.
want to add more than one zone I see the option for it but the program keeps skipping right over it won't let me stop on the zone enable option using the enter key. hope that makes sence.
kmartin

Post by kmartin »

Zone operation was only supported in later firmware (MLM) releases. Check the version of your MLM, it will probably at least need to be 5.+. Check batlabs Spectra codeplug hacking page--I believe reference is made to what the minimum version for Zone operation is.
BFD319

Post by BFD319 »

thanks
K0DEN

Post by K0DEN »

OK guys, yall have been good about helping me with my problems and questions, so heres another one.

I have looked around on the Bat site for info, but i cannot find it. I need info on converting my A5 VHF Spectra into a Systems 9000 Model, What cable(s) do i need? I have the SpecLab, what direction do i need to go now?

The reason i want to convert it is, i like the style of the 9000 head, its more functional for me, with the siren, etc.

Thanks in advance
Curt
n1pfc

Post by n1pfc »

K0DEN wrote:OK guys, yall have been good about helping me with my problems and questions, so heres another one.

I have looked around on the Bat site for info, but i cannot find it. I need info on converting my A5 VHF Spectra into a Systems 9000 Model, What cable(s) do i need? I have the SpecLab, what direction do i need to go now?

The reason i want to convert it is, i like the style of the 9000 head, its more functional for me, with the siren, etc.

Thanks in advance
Curt
To convert to an A9 head from an A5 head, you need to bit bang the appropriate areas of the MLM and command board. If you go to the spectra information page, it will show you exactly how to do it.

When you're done bit banging the appropriate areas (change the model number to end with 9AK, and instead of being a D43***.... make it a T43*** [never seen a dash spectra with an A9 head :D ] and change the other bits to make it look to be an A9 head) you'll get a FAIL 01/82. All you have to do is read and dump the same code plug back into the radio and it will like it.

Kurt
-done quite a few head changes on spectras
I am <I>NOT</I> Hamsexy
nypdcar1

Post by nypdcar1 »

never seen a dash spectra with an A9 head
here is a dash mount with dual 9000 heads

Click On Banner!
Rick Rock

Post by Rick Rock »

nypdcar1 wrote:
never seen a dash spectra with an A9 head
here is a dash mount with dual 9000 heads

All I see is 2 remote mount radios! A dash mount has the control head mounted to the front of it!!!
The Batlounge admin
http://www.batlounge.us
nypdcar1

Post by nypdcar1 »

oh ok :wink:
Click On Banner!

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”