Syntor-x Control head question

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kc2kzz
What radios do you own?: Astro Saber 2/3,XTS3000,HT1000

Syntor-x Control head question

Post by kc2kzz »

I recently aquired a set of control heads for the syntor-x. One of them I
am assuming is a 32 mode head, the top row has 1-8mode buttons and the
bottom has an unmarked red button and ABCD. I have another control head
that came with it that has 2 rows of 8 buttons with one row marked NP and
the other Marked CODE. It also has a power & PRI button. Can anyone tell
me what that head is or does and what does NP & CODE mean?
Andy Brinkley
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: FMR80D and a Motrac with Scan

Post by Andy Brinkley »

The heads you have are System 90, they contain cards that can be mixed and matched to make whatever control head features you need, provided you have the correct cable and programming.

The head you have with 1-8 mode buttons / ABCD is a 32 channel channel select head.

The head with one row marked NP is an 8 channel non priority scan head. The NP turns the scan on and off, 1-8 selects the channel.

The one marked CODE should be a MPL select head, where you can select different PL or DPL tones.

An excellent reference (OK .... the best reference site there is) is by Mike Blenderman:

http://www.open.org/~blenderm/syntorx/c ... l#xchintro

Your mileage may vary because it is easy to swap control cards and not change the label. You may have to check the numbers on the cards to verify what you have.

Also the Sys-90 control heads are pretty dumb, everything has to be enabled in the programming of the Syntor-X code plug.

E-mail me direct if you need programming done.
Andy / NC4AB
kc2kzz
What radios do you own?: Astro Saber 2/3,XTS3000,HT1000

Post by kc2kzz »

Thanks for the info, thats exactly what I thought but needed someone to confirm it.

John
K0DEN

Post by K0DEN »

i am getting ready to program my X9000, do i need to program the freqs into the head or just the drawer?
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

Well, yes and no. As for the frequencies, they are programmed into the radio itself. The head holds the alpha-numeric labels it displays as well as information on which button is programmed to do what. When you lood at the RSS, there should be two .EXE files, RPGROG.EXE, which programs the radio, and CHPROG.EXE, which programs the head. You will have to program one part, then shut down that part of the software and open the other part to program the other. One really nice thing about the X9000 RSS is the fact that you don't have to have a codeplug on hand to make one. You can start a codeplug from scratch, or modify and existing codeplug.

BTW, I hope you have a really slow computer, preferably a 286 vintage machine. This software just won't run on a fast computer, and if it does, it won't talk to the radio properly.
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
K0DEN

Post by K0DEN »

oh yeah.....i gots me a sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow
computer....and thanks for the info
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

Yeah, it's a common belief that RSS stands for "Radio Service Software", but it actually means "Really Slow Software". :roll:

No problem on the help. Just ask if you need anything else. I've been studying Mr. Blenderman's web site, and playing with a couple of old X9000s I have, and have learned a little about them. In a few weeks, maybe, I am going to try re-tuning the preselector in a UHF X9000 for Ham use. That's going to be a learning experiance!
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
K0DEN

Post by K0DEN »

i have been constantly on Mike's website, and i have learned quite a bit....but then again he does leave some questions unanswered too. but thats ok, he can't do it all....i guess

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”