MT1000/HT600 Antenna/Button Questions

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

MT1000/HT600 Antenna/Button Questions

Post by kb0nly »

This is a two for one today. Two quick questions.

Anyone know what frequency range the light blue antennas are? I got a couple of those, according to info on here the blue antennas are supposed to be 162-174, but all the radios that i have with blue ones on originally came programmed in the 150-160 range. I have a couple of these on HT600's as well. Everyone says that i should have black instead, if so, then why is every radio i ever buy or work on coming with one of these light blue colored ones?

How do you remove the two top side buttons on a Genesis series radio. I have a HT600 that has both buttons ripped out. I have a replacement rubber piece, but i can't get the stupid plastic piece over top of it out. Do you pry it out? Or is it glued? Just wanted to know before i try and break something!
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
Dan562
What radios do you own?: Kenwood, Yaesu, ICOM, Motorola

HT600/MT1000 VHF Antenna

Post by Dan562 »

Information taken from /\/\ Portable Radio Accessories Catalog March, 1993

# 85-5816K01 Yellow 136-150 MHz

# 85-5816K03 Black 150-162 MHz

# 85-5816K05 Blue 162-174 MHz

As far as replacing the PL Monitor and Scan button assemblies, it appears as another /\/\ Best Kept Secret ... the Service Manual didn't even show a part number let alone how to remove and replace. It appears as if you would have the electronics part of the radio out and remove the assembly from inside the housing. Knowing /\/\ infinite wisdom, they probably made it part of the housing just to irk the people repairing the radio.

Dan
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Side buttons come part of housing but can also be broken down and are sold seperately as well. To replace the side buttons you need the keypad and the bezel. The bezel is glued in over the keypad so the old bezel needs to be pried (and broken) out to take out the old keypad. Try to glue the new bezel in with something other than Crazy Glue, if it ooses or you miss a bit it will leave a white stain on the new bezel.
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

I was hoping it was somehow removable, but i got it anyway. I did two of them now, i just used a small jewelers screwdriver and angled it in the button holes and popped the bezel off.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

Wes

Post by Wes »

Does anybody have the part numbers for just the buttons and bezel???

Wes
Wes Hutchens
911 Telecommunicator/2-Way Sales & Service
K0DEN

Post by K0DEN »

RadioSouth wrote: if it ooses or you miss a bit it will leave a white stain on the new bezel.
isn't that always the way though?
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

'Yes' Koden I guess it does.
kb0nly wrote:I was hoping it was somehow removable, but i got it anyway. I did two of them now, i just used a small jewelers screwdriver and angled it in the button holes and popped the bezel off.
The bezel wasn't glued ? I've done about a dozen and was never able to remove the bezel without mangling it, in a few cases I could only get it out in a couple of pieces, they used some very tough glue. Then I had to chisel out the hardened glue residue that they used before re-installing the new pieces.
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

I think they were glued, but i just applied even pressure around both button openings and they popped free side by side. Then i just put the new buttons in and a small dab of super glue gel at each contact point, a very small dab that is, and pushed the plate back in.

Worked good, no worries about the glue oozing out with the gel type and using a small careful amount. Ready for another ten years on them.

:lol:

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”