Spectra VHF

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

K0DEN

Spectra VHF

Post by K0DEN »

what kind of antenna connector is on the back of a Spectra VHF?

is it a mini UHF?
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

The normal Moto-installed connector is a Mini-UHF.

I've seen other connectors installed, such as BNCs.

Why Mother Moto uses such a shitty connector on such nice radios befuddles me. Many of the European radios from Moto use BNCs. MACom gear uses TNCs. <sigh>...
K0DEN

Post by K0DEN »

would it be ok to use a pl259 to mini uhf adapter? or would that be totally ignorant?
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

K0DEN wrote:would it be ok to use a pl259 to mini uhf adapter? or would that be totally ignorant?
You can, I guess. The Mini-UHF connector on the Spectra is somewhat fragile (if you break the connector lose and twist the coax off inside the radio, there's quite a bit of repair work to be done). Why do you want to do this? Crimpers are cheap (a good set of racheting crimpers from RF Industries or similar should be $50-$100 depending on the number of dies you get), and Mini-UHF crimps are $2-$3/ea. for decent stuff.

Do it the right way... it's worth it.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Yes, definetely fragile. The 2nd best option is to get that adapter that Motorola sells, rather than a direct mini-UHF to SO-239 they have it on a short coax pigtail so you don't put too much pressure on the radios connector.
K0DEN

Post by K0DEN »

ok....second question, do any of you fine folks out there have access to the install manual for the dash mount spectras? i just dont want to burn anything up on it. i know where the red and black wires go.....duh :o but i dont know what the accesory connector hooks to. i know there are some wires coming out it, i think its the acc. connector, its the one that plugs into the computer port? on the back of the radio. forgive my ignorance, is there anything on the site to help me? like i said i want to err on the side of caution.
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
n_zero_ndp

Post by n_zero_ndp »

The EDACS DΩRK......
n_zero_ndp

Post by n_zero_ndp »

my laziness proceeds me :lol:
The EDACS DΩRK......
K0DEN

Post by K0DEN »

shweeet....thank you
PETNRDX
What radios do you own?: Too many

Post by PETNRDX »

The other trouble with any of those adaptors is that they are kinda lossy especially at 800/900. And the cheaper they are the moare lossy they are. I have been buying the generic RG58 size crimpers that are pretty good for around 25 bucks.
Just some addtional thots to add to the confusion.
K0DEN

Post by K0DEN »

Man this is cool......

When i yell fer help i get it!! what a great bunch of fellahs. I really appreciate all the help and suggestions. i just hope that i can help someon like this someday
K0DEN

Post by K0DEN »

ok guys one more,

how do iget into the mode menu? the spectra i have will not program more than 21 modes,

it will do 128 modes,

TIA
Rick Rock

Post by Rick Rock »

While you're in mode screen (ex.: mode 1) hit F8 for mode utilities and arrow to add mode. Then you can add as many as you want up to 128.
The Batlounge admin
http://www.batlounge.us
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

And if you have a "Zone" capable radio, you can set it up into "banks" so to speak.
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
K0DEN

Post by K0DEN »

sadly....its not zone capable...... :(
wx4cbh

Post by wx4cbh »

Moto part # for mini-UHF (male end)/SO-239 (female end) adapter is HKN9557A.

Why is it that can I remember that part number but I can't remember what I had for lunch today?
curmudgeon.....and I like it.
K0DEN

Post by K0DEN »

i dunno....im the same way
K0DEN

Post by K0DEN »

is there a talk permit tone on the VHF spectra? i know it has MDC 1200
Will

Post by Will »

Not a "talk permit tone" per sea, but you can enable the Sidetone on MDC PTT ID on a per mode basis. Sidetone is just a single tone during the MDC pretime and accual MDC transmit time, and only works on the beginning of transmission PTT ID.
K0DEN

Post by K0DEN »

Thank goodness for the cloning option!! :wink: :wink:
K0DEN

Post by K0DEN »

Thank goodness for the cloning option!! :wink: :wink:
BFD319

Post by BFD319 »

Anyone no if possable how to enable the zone option, can't seem to get it to do zones
BFD319

Post by BFD319 »

Anyone no if possable how to enable the zone option, can't seem to get it to do zones
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Post by kc7gr »

BFD319 wrote:Anyone no if possable how to enable the zone option, can't seem to get it to do zones
Check your radio's firmware version (should be on the label on the MLM). Not all Spectras support Zone operation. Your radio's firmware must be at least rev. 5.1x to support zoned operation.

Happy tweaking.
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."
BFD319

Post by BFD319 »

ok just to check were do I lookup the firmware
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Post by kc7gr »

BFD319 wrote:ok just to check were do I lookup the firmware
Re-read my original post. There is a label on the circuit side of the MLM (Memory & Logic Module) which gives the firmware revision. You will need to remove the radio's top cover, and the shield over the MLM, to check this.

Another possible alternative is to read the radio with the RSS, then hit F1 for help and F9 for 'Other Help.' The 'Other Help' screen should display the firmware version of the currently-loaded codeplug.

Happy hunting.
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."
Will

Post by Will »

You can read the MLM version from the dashboard.

As soon as you turn on the radio, PRESS the HOME button five times. Then press the MODE once to enter the SERVICE mode.
The radio will display VER x.xx that is the MLM version. And then it's serial number.
BFD319

Post by BFD319 »

Thanks guys for the help, found that this radio doesn't do the zones. 1 other ?
I had a remote head spectra that I took apart and put the remote wire onto another spectra radio and it doesn't seem to be powering up now, could it be because they are different head units. What I mean by different head unit is one has 4 buttons on top and the other has 5. would that efect the remote cable at all. beacaues it does power up if I swap out the head units on the radio

hope this makes sence LOL
nozzle75

Post by nozzle75 »

Anybody know what the Moto part # is for the mini-uhf bulkhead connector is? The one to replace the radio's connector?
In GOD we trust; all others we run NCIC
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

What's the frequency range and output power? There are different assemblies for each. The connector and the piece of coax attached to it is what's listed in the service manual.

Bob M.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”