HT1250 programming

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

pluto1914
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few APXs

HT1250 programming

Post by pluto1914 »

is there an option within the HT1250 programming to be able to cycle through PL's?? We have the FRS frequencies programmed into our portables in order to talk to the two schools and would like to select a certain PL.
jim

Post by jim »

Nope....besides, FRS frequencies in an HT1250 are illegal.
RKG

Post by RKG »

Correct on both counts. (The feature you're looking for is called MPL in Motorola world and I've never seen it in a Waris radio.)
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

jim wrote:Nope....besides, FRS frequencies in an HT1250 are illegal.

I haven't read the actual laws on this, but couldn't you just set the radio for 500mW & have it then be 'legal'?

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
chuckhab

Post by chuckhab »

Nah, I think that hinges back on 'type-acceptance,' and Waris line radios are not type accepted for FRS.
Chuck Hable

I would agree with you, but then we would both be wrong.
eboe

Post by eboe »

isn't there something in the 'FRS' rule section about a removable antenna too? probably a whole laundry list of stuff that would make a 1250 illegal for use.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce and brave man, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain
pluto1914
Batboard $upporter

ht1250

Post by pluto1914 »

so does that mean that they cannot be programmed into the radio?

And while I am here, if the companding feature is setup on a Wide band freq. does that make the audio sound mufled?
Last edited by pluto1914 on Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
allplowedout
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

EXCEPTION

Post by allplowedout »

Not sure, and sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't ps agencies allowed to talk on ANY channel on ANY band if safety of life is at stake.

Not that it would justify chit chatting on the band, but to have it in the radio and use it if an emergency exists would be justified in any means I would think.

Bueller?
jim

Post by jim »

"Not sure, and sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't ps agencies allowed to talk on ANY channel on ANY band if safety of life is at stake"

Correct. But you and I both know that this is not the intended purpose uf FRS channels in this radio. They will use it for general chatter.

The radio is not type accepted and it cannot have a removable antenna.
pluto1914
Batboard $upporter

okay...

Post by pluto1914 »

maybe I should have told the long story instead.

I am firefighter in my town and the current radios that we use have the FRS programmed into them because the elementry schools uses those radios, and if God Forbid the $hit hits the fan so to speak, the FD will be able to communicate with school officials. Futhermore to disband any further thought that this particular town chats on FRS. We don't chat on the FRS freqs. We have T.A.C. Channels for that. :)

I'll ask my second question...The id the companding feature is setup on a wide band freq will that make that particular channel sound like crap?

David
HOWARD

Post by HOWARD »

I don't like the audio quality with the companding turned on (full compression). In short I set the compression to AGC mode and found that on the fire-ground with alot of back ground noise this works the best. AGC also sounds better when talking with a mask on than having compression mode disabled. As far as the FRS frequencies, no-one is going to bother you for what you want to do with them and I would leave it set for high power.
pluto1914
Batboard $upporter

ht1250

Post by pluto1914 »

Thanks brother...
jim

Post by jim »

Leave the audio "enhancers" off.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

so all it takes is one kid on an FRS radio in his basement to set the entire district up by faking some call on the air? wow.
HOWARD

Post by HOWARD »

thebigphish wrote:so all it takes is one kid on an FRS radio in his basement to set the entire district up by faking some call on the air? wow.
I was thinking the same thing. With all the grants available to schools for safety, you would think they had something a little better. Of course they may also be using these radios as an auxilary to a regular radio system.
pluto1914
Batboard $upporter

FRS in the class room

Post by pluto1914 »

There is an FRS radio with every teacher...the administration uses some other portable radios.
RKG

Post by RKG »

1. Chuckhab is right; it is a type acceptance thing.

2. The reg someone else referred to (from memory, 47 C.F.R. sec. 90.407) does permit a Part 90 licensee to transmit on any Part 90 channel if life is threatened, but FRS is not in Part 90.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”