Where do XTS5K 123abc4567 come from?!

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

radio-link

Where do XTS5K 123abc4567 come from?!

Post by radio-link »

Hi!

I wonder where all the XTS5000 with 123abc4567 come from?! There must be some guy who is able to flash and modify those radios without motorolas help, otherwise it should be almost impossible to change the serial number. Things with the 5k are not that simple as with Jedi series :-)

These days I had some of those radios on my bench, and the only odd thing was the misalignment of the power levels, otherwise the radios performed excellent. They really give fine radios for analogue and APCO mode, 512 channels, DES, what does one want more? *g*
regards - Ralph, dk5ras

--

Ralph A. Schmid http://www.bclog.de ralph@schmid.xxx
Tel./SMS +49-171-3631223
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

The generally known & accepted story is there was a fire at one of M's factories, and the radios were written off as scrap. They were intercepted at some point before falling into the crusher.

I hear Motorola claims they were basically stolen off the assembly line.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Basically, if you buy one and it stops working, throw it out. 99% chance that there will be no offical support of that radio.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
allplowedout
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

FUNKY RADIOS

Post by allplowedout »

Basically, if you buy one and it stops working, PM me and I will send pre-paid FEDEX box to your location and you can send your radio to me.

Orr you can always send it to that tubesteak SMOKEY_CAT or whatever it calls itself these days....

:D
radio-link

Post by radio-link »

Pj wrote:Basically, if you buy one and it stops working, throw it out. 99% chance that there will be no offical support of that radio.
I guess one who bought a 6000$ radio for 600$ is aware of this and compensates this with redundancy :-) Just after dying radio #9 it is time to wonder how to proceed *g*
regards - Ralph, dk5ras

--

Tel./SMS +49-171-3631223
hamptonbeach

Post by hamptonbeach »

I thought those were the "alpha" radios, or engineering samples.
USGOVTECH

Post by USGOVTECH »

The Radios you all are making reference to were Pre-Production radios. There was no "fire".
CTAMontrose
was grem467

Post by CTAMontrose »

since we are rehashing this yet again:
spectragod wrote:OK, since I am tired of seeing and hearing about these radio's, here's the deal on them.......

M had a fire last year at it's Schaumburg facility, the one that warehouses and does R&D on the XTS5000's, as well as a couple of other models.

The sprinkler system put out the fire, the sprinkler system made M claim damage to all the radio's in the facility. Insurance paid off, and all the radio's 3-5K of them, were sold for scrap, some had water damage, some did not.

All the radio's stored at the warehouse that are for future sale are pre-built and all have the 123ABC1234 serial # and a basic IMBE flash. Some of the unit that were in evaluation had been given serial #'s and flash codes. Almost all of these radio's were 800 and VHF.

Ever notice on a new Motorola product, that the box has 2 labels, one with the basic radio imformation, the other with the flash and options, think about why there are 2 labels, the 2nd one goes on after the flashcode the customer ordered is put in it, it is at that time the serial # is generated and a serial # tag is made as well.

And by some of the members here paying 500 and up for a radio that was bought for $2 a pound, you are just creating a problem by feeding the goof that bought this equipment for scrap. Pretty soon, when you send your radio in with it's goofy serial #, you won't get it back.

Furthermore, each radio has a unique ESN #, and regardless if you have 3-5K radio's with the same serial #, it can be traced back to the scrap bin via the ESN.

As I said in a previous post, these are good working radio's, but are good for parts only. You get what you pay for.... PERIOD.

So no, those radio's are not stolen, they are registered as scrap, send it in, I will bet M says it has water damage and will quote you what it will cost to fix, bet on a 2K bill for that operation.

Buy a scanner, it's cheaper, legal and no one will question you about it.

Schools out, hope everyone learned something.

SG
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

For what it's worth, there ARE some "Alpha" XTS5000s out there; a.k.a. Design & Developmental, pre-production, whatever. They also had a funky serial number, although perhaps not as basic as ABC. They used to only program with D&D/Alpha CPS, and any attempt to program them with real CPS below version 4 would send the radio into an almost unrecoverable power-up loop. They may be able to program with the latest CPS version, but I don't know for sure.

Yes I've had hands-on experience with one of these but no, I don't own one, never did, so please don't PM me any questions.
radio-link

Post by radio-link »

USGOVTECH wrote:The Radios you all are making reference to were Pre-Production radios. There was no "fire".
This could explain the attached hand written labels inside the radio, on the PCBs and on the encryption modules.
regards - Ralph, dk5ras

--

Tel./SMS +49-171-3631223
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

USGOVTECH wrote:The Radios you all are making reference to were Pre-Production radios. There was no "fire".
UHHHHHHHHH, yeah, sure.

SG
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Post by batdude »

I SEE THREE LIGHTS!!!!!!!!!
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
tvsjr

Re: ....

Post by tvsjr »

batdude wrote:I SEE THREE LIGHTS!!!!!!!!!
HAHA... good reference. :D
xmo

Post by xmo »

How many lights?

"There are FOUR lights."

[Chain of Command.]
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

about time someone quoted TNG around here :)

The count is 1,2,5, no 3!
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
What radios do you own?: MT-500 with scan

Post by 123 »

I can confirm that there was no fire, Motorola issued these radios as demo/beta radios.This is per Motorola I called them myself. There is also no record of this so called "fire" that I can find in public records,I also went as far as calling the fire investigators up there {they have knowledge of all commerical building fires} and still nothing ,keep in mind they know the motorola plant by heart. They do Pre-fire plans every month, still no fire? How about backing your claim spectragod?
Keep the flames to yourself.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

123 wrote:I can confirm that there was no fire, Motorola issued these radios as demo/beta radios.This is per Motorola I called them myself. There is also no record of this so called "fire" that I can find in public records,I also went as far as calling the fire investigators up there {they have knowledge of all commerical building fires} and still nothing ,keep in mind they know the motorola plant by heart. They do Pre-fire plans every month, still no fire? How about backing your claim spectragod?
I've heard the same story as told by Spectra God from others at Motorola as well.

-Alex
xmo

Post by xmo »

"...I also went as far as calling the fire investigators up there ..."

Up where? Schaumburg? Ft. Lauderdale? Singapore? Malaysia ?

Motorola is a world wide company - really big in the far Pacific rim - the second largest private sector employer in Malaysia.

You were thinking they actually made those XTS radios in Illinois?
Last edited by xmo on Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
CTAMontrose
was grem467

Post by CTAMontrose »

specifically who did you call? what is their title? Phone #?
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

123 wrote:I can confirm that there was no fire, Motorola issued these radios as demo/beta radios.This is per Motorola I called them myself. There is also no record of this so called "fire" that I can find in public records,I also went as far as calling the fire investigators up there {they have knowledge of all commerical building fires} and still nothing ,keep in mind they know the motorola plant by heart. They do Pre-fire plans every month, still no fire? How about backing your claim spectragod?
I don't need to back anything up, nor will I reveal any of my sources for imformation.

There are Alpha radio's out there, keep in mind though, the Alpha's are probably stolen property, as opposed to the radio's from the fire, which were written off for scrap.

What I don't undersatand though...... is the bug up your ass about it? Better yet, why would you even care?

I know operations currently in place for a couple of 3 letter agencies, should I tell you what I know and where I got my intel. from?

My advice, leave well enough alone and quit hitting the pipe.

SG
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

I get a lot of beta iDEN units to test, they ALL have VALID S/N's. The IMEI's are 010101010101010. If they all had the same S/N it would be hard as hell to track what units have changes to them.

Jim.
nitornemo

Post by nitornemo »

Ditto for brother Maynard and the Holy Hand grenade of Antiox

apco25 wrote:about time someone quoted TNG around here :)

The count is 1,2,5, no 3!

As for the 123ABC1234 radios and "since we are rehashing this yet again"

If you have your doubts about what is being said, buy one and send it in for service.
Or just send the one you have in (and are afraid to admit to already owning one from eGay)
Image For That Chewy-Gooey Tasting Radio system!
What radios do you own?: MT-500 with scan

Post by 123 »

xmo wrote:"...I also went as far as calling the fire investigators up there ..."

Up where? Schaumburg? Ft. Lauderdale? Singapore? Malaysia ?

Motorola is a world wide company - really big in the far Pacific rim - the second largest private sector employer in Malaysia.

You were thinking they actually made those XTS radios in Illinois?
Thanks for the already known facts..No record in Malaysia of a fire per ops management. No record of a fire in Schaumburg in public records or by fire officials or motorola..{I like how you mock the fact that I thought astros were made in Illinois} They are not made there but they are brought there for testing & engineering advancements,so the possible so called "fire" incident had to be ruled out there as well. Singapore I have not been able to speak with anyone in that country but I doubt a fire was there either. ALso 1 other batlabber on this thread has also posted thier text that thier was no fire.. Sounds like a good fiction movie from the "god" of spectras to me :P

I know a few people who have bought the "abc" radios & sent them back to motorola for flash upgrades without a problem. SO again,this story of fires sounds to far fetched for belief. But hey,believe what you want to believe. OR just call for yourself. Its as easy as picking up the phone & asking questions.
Keep the flames to yourself.
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

46 posts, and you know it all. How many people on this board do you figure are connected to Motorola?

Your either a troll or an idiot.

SG

Post by spectragod »

quote]

Thanks for the already known facts..No record in Malaysia of a fire per ops management. No record of a fire in Schaumburg in public records or by fire officials or motorola..{I like how you mock the fact that I thought astros were made in Illinois} They are not made there but they are brought there for testing & engineering advancements,so the possible so called "fire" incident had to be ruled out there as well. Singapore I have not been able to speak with anyone in that country but I doubt a fire was there either. ALso 1 other batlabber on this thread has also posted thier text that thier was no fire.. Sounds like a good fiction movie from the "god" of spectras to me :P

I know a few people who have bought the "abc" radios & sent them back to motorola for flash upgrades without a problem. SO again,this story of fires sounds to far fetched for belief. But hey,believe what you want to believe. OR just call for yourself. Its as easy as picking up the phone & asking questions.[/quote]

Well, since you are such an authority on this, tell me where these radio's came from, all with the same serial # & flashcode. The EXACT way that they come off the assembly line before they are warehoused.

Something tells me that you are an employee of M, and for some reason, you don't want the truth to be known about a small fire. But yet big enough to set off the sprinkler system. And it was the sprinkler system that compromised all the equipment, not any fire department. But you have a theory, so lets hear it.

After going back through all you posts.... there are so many. It appears all you do is stir $hit, you don't post anything constructive, you don't help anyone, you just stir the pot.

I will make the suggestion that you and your IP be banned, I am sure there will be at least a second.

SG

What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

Since it's been beaten to death long enough. I think this conversation is over.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”