COM settings with Windows XP

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

dereckpristas

COM settings with Windows XP

Post by dereckpristas »

In an attempt to use CPS to program my HT1250 (Version 06.04AA) I am having some trouble. When I first got the radio, I programmed it using the CPS and a computer with Windows XP. Now, I no longer have that computer and I'm using a different one, but still with Windows XP and it won't work. Are there some COM settings I can change to make it work. I get the error message of:

"Couldn't Open Port. Check whether Device/RIB are powered on or not, and the Device to RIB, and RIB to PC connection is OK."

I checked and it gives me the option of COM1 and COM3. COM1 is my serial port, I have a brand new 9V battery in my RIB, and all my connections are fine. I believe this to be a com setting problem, not a Windows XP problem because as I stated, I've used Windows XP before. I am having the problem though with everything now because on my old one I could do my CP200's and now it won't read/write those either. The CPS opens, and I can open codeplugs and all, but it just won't read/write. I get that error message. Any help would be great. Thanks all!

Dereck
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

Just make sure there are no conflicts within windows for the com port. That would be a good place to start. Also if you set the com port for the default settings that may do the trick as well.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
radio-link

Post by radio-link »

Be sure that no other programs are in use, especially office or mediaplayer sometimes occupy the serial port. Try to reboot the computer, keep all stuff out of the startup folder, keep your windows clean and tidy, otherwise often CPS will not work at all.
regards - Ralph, dk5ras

--

Ralph A. Schmid http://www.bclog.de ralph@schmid.xxx
Tel./SMS +49-171-3631223

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”