running antenna wires in a bundle?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

eboe

running antenna wires in a bundle?

Post by eboe »

i'm going to be doing a multi-radio install and i was wondering if it's taboo to run antenna wires right next to each other up the a- or b-pillar. all the antennas need to be on the roof (spaced as best as possible). the radios in question are as follows:

cdm1250, vhf-hi
cdm1250, uhf-t
icom ic208h, dual-band 2M & 440
cobra 75wxst, CB
uniden scanner bc796d, (obviously all bands)

just wanted to know if there is any antenna wiring i should keep away from the rest? i'm thinking maybe keep the 2M ham(~146Mhz) away from the vhf-hi and keep the scanner away from everything? is that ok or not even necessary?

thanks
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce and brave man, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

Depends, you have to consider transmit power, coax quality, etc.

If you use a good quality coax with tight shielding you could run them all up the same spot without a problem. The equipment is also a matter though. For example, a scanner with a wide front end won't have the rejection to strong nearby signals that one of your other rigs might have.

The worst i can see happening is the scanner receiving interference when transmitting on one of the other radios.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
Res168cue

Post by Res168cue »

I agree with the previous post... In my past expirence I ran a bundle of coax down the C post of my previous truck. This was for multiple TX radios and a couple RX scanners. I never had any problems with interference on the scanners when transmitting on the radios. So you should be good to go!

-Nate
eboe

Post by eboe »

ok thanks guys. i'm gonna bundle em all up and hopefully no problems. thanks.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce and brave man, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain
va3wxm

Post by va3wxm »

Another thing... as long as your SWR is good you shouldn't have any problems. You'll want to keep all that stray RF off the coax shield!
eboe

Post by eboe »

yeah, that's another thing... i'm also in the market for a good swr meter. i saw the other thread about the telewave 44a. i might take the plunge.
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

Just did an install tonight on an Explorer with 3 Antenex NMO's using Teflex coax, running in a bundle down the C pillar. Radios are 110w VHF/UHF X9000's and a 35w 800 Spectra....no issues.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”