HT750/HT1250 Series

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KG4LHQ

HT750/HT1250 Series

Post by KG4LHQ »

Just wondering why everyone hates the HT750... Our county sheriff's department and the city police where I work uses these radios. Seems like this board is very against these and pretty much call them junk.

Whats so bad about them?!?!?!?

Seems like this board likes the HT1250 - which that is my main/priority radio and I have not had any problem with it.

Just requesting someone to explain what is the cons of the HT750
Tony Soprano
Batboard $upporter

Post by Tony Soprano »

Some of what you hear is based on problems with early versions of the radios, some comes from people who have actually used the radios and can form an educated opinion.

A great deal of what gets batted around here comes from hearsay. The radios did have some problems initially, but most of the bad things you hear about them are psychological. What many people don't realize is that the beloved Jedi series radios were also plagued with problems that also took some time to work out.

The radios work for the markets they were intended for. The HT1250 and HT750 share identical internal hardware, the 1250 has support for an LCD and advanced programming functions. For those who find the radios unacceptable, there are many other products to choose from.
SD70MAC

ht

Post by SD70MAC »

The older HT750\1250 were pure crap, but the newer ones at least 5.00.03 firmware work very well. Like all equipment some features work very well and some not so good. I have seen alot of issues that were due to programer error, and alot of users don't understand how to use them. The bottom line if you like the keep using them.
SD70MAC out

My collection;
XTS5000 VHF FPP,XTS3000 VHF M1&M3,XTVA,XTS2500 UHF Q FPP,Astro Spectra"s W3 VHF,W9 VHF,W7 800,HT1250 35-50,XPR4500 Q,2 CDM1550LS+ VHF 160ch,CDM1550 X 160ch VHF 25w,MAXTRAC 42-50 32ch,CDM1250 42-54
mtp2

Post by mtp2 »

Just in case your intrested: here's a poll and thread about the 750 from a while back.

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.p ... poll+ht750

mtp
jim

Post by jim »

There are a TON of these things in departments that I do service for and they hold up rather well. Just make sure you stay with a newer firmware.

They are loaded with features too!

The big problem seems to be battery contacts and cracked solder joints on the volume pots.

Other than that, I've been using the Waris line since version 1.00 and love them. They arene't wheelchocks, but they also were not designed to be. There aren't any radios on the market that are built to drop a concrete block on like some think. Granted, they aren't as rugged as an MT1000, they also discontinued this radio LOOONG ago. Look into Kenwood, Vertex and ICOM and you'll find they also don't offer a wheelchocking-capable radio either.
aays888

Post by aays888 »

How does 1 update the f/w in these HT1250 series portables. I just purchased a brandnew UHF GP339 which is the Aust version of the HT1250, and looking through the radio info on the LCD, it says;

R03.02.15 is the Software version,

R4.04 is the CP version.

Thanks
Anthony.
jim

Post by jim »

You need the proper firmware upgrade file and the "flash dongle", which is just a toggle switch. The dongle goes between the computer and the RIB or RIBless cable.
aays888

Post by aays888 »

Cheers Jim.
radio-link

Post by radio-link »

jim wrote:
The big problem seems to be battery contacts and cracked solder joints on the volume pots.

Other than that, I've been using the Waris line since version 1.00 and love them.
The battery contact issue also has to do with tolerances of the steel clip, holding the battery. A tight fitting battery makes no trouble, one with more play in it does. Believe it or not, had the same problems with the Jedi series, just not that often.

My all day radio is a Waris GP1280 UHF MPT trunking, should be same hardware like some 1550+ or something like that, the little beast is my companion for more than three years now, hanging on my belt all day, at work (climbing up 200m masts in rain), at home, on holidays (skiing!), used all the time, and no problems at all. Even the LiIo battery had 75% left after three years. TX/RX range is identical to the UHF MPT Jedi I own, but from size and weight it beats the Jedi, so the Jedi just acts as a back up at home.

In parallel I use a midband Jedi, all the time in my backpack, and is also reliable like hell, even the NiCd batt can be used like LiIo without degradation when using the newer RPX4747 Intellicharge2 charger.

For VHF 2m I went to a XTS5000 a short time ago, it beats them both, rugged like the Jedi, similar design, but latest features - in my opinion the XTS is the only radio being able to replace the Saber. But I will give my midband Saber never ever away :)

Other fine radios are my GP388 (VHF and UHF), should be the Ex600 in the US. Just with full TX power they really suck, the battery is not strong enough; I use them for ham radio with 1 or 2.5 watts. As durable as the GP1280, at a ham fest I shocked the kenwood rep with kicking it around - he did not want to give me his th-f7 to do the same *g*
regards - Ralph, dk5ras

--

Ralph A. Schmid http://www.bclog.de ralph@schmid.xxx
Tel./SMS +49-171-3631223

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”