Positive v Negative switching?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

FireBuffing

Positive v Negative switching?

Post by FireBuffing »

Anybody here know the differrence between positive and nagative swtiching in vehicles? My car is negative, and I had to cut both high beam wires for my wig-wags, and need to have the high beams on for them to work. On the other hand, my friend has a positive system, and just needed to cut one wire, and just flips on the switch. Thanks
Res168cue

Post by Res168cue »

Positive and Negative switching is quite simply just the way that the electrical system is controlled in a vehicle. They are two entirely different systems and its like compairing apples to oranges, and there is no way to change one system to opperate like the other. It is what it is...

-Nate
FireBuffing

Post by FireBuffing »

I'm not looking to change it to a different one, but a better understanding of how each operates.
KG6EAQ
Batboard $upporter

Post by KG6EAQ »

One controls things via adding for removing the negative side and the other controls things by cutting off the input (or positive side). Pretty simple.
-Robert F.
KG6EAQ
FireBuffing

Post by FireBuffing »

Alrighty, that's simple enough, thanks for the help
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

pretty common on american cars to switch the high beams on the positive side, whereas some forgien cars switch on the negative side.
SonicSounds

Post by SonicSounds »

SlimBob wrote:pretty common on american cars to switch the high beams on the positive side, whereas some forgien cars switch on the negative side.
Hey,

My Subaru WRX (made in US) has positive switching for headlight power (in other words +12 gets turned on to the bulb common lead) and uses negative switching on the individual inputs to determine which filament is illuminated! Take that.... :D

Jon

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”