lookng for ideas- coaxial VHF ant. covert application

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jrm5265
Batboard $upporter

lookng for ideas- coaxial VHF ant. covert application

Post by jrm5265 »

I work for a regional drug task force and were trying to improve the tx of our repeater for the bug unit, anybody know a source for a "coaxial" antenna thats proffesionally done and cut to the freq professioanlly (so I know it right" need it to be about 10' long has to be hidden in random vehicles, the vehicles dont belong to us so not an option to permanently fix antennas hidden in vehicle its sorta jerk and run application/installs

would be at 167mhz

Thanks
Joe Mobley
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

Have you seen the coat hanger or kleenex box antennas?
Several companies offer them for around $100 but you can make one very easily.

Inside they are simply RG174 coax with the braid and hot separated in the proper length for the frequency to form a dipole.

They work surprisingly well.

mancow
jhook

re temp antenna

Post by jhook »

a friend of mine years ago built me i guess what they call a portable throw up antenna for my portable basiclly the same thing as above ,it's made out of a piece of coax and some of the old tv lead in wire i believe they called it ladder wire its that flat 2 wire cable for old style tv antenna . i still use it off and on still today and it does seem to work pretty good maybe try a google search for portable throw up antenna i know he got the instructions off the web probbally a ham radio site good luck Jhook
BAT9228
jrm5265
Batboard $upporter

antenna

Post by jrm5265 »

will Casey Crane please contact me I want you to make me another one of those antennas

Joe
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

By the sound of it you guys are talking about a J-Pole antenna.

Easy to make with some 300ohm tv twinlead from rat shack. The other style that Mancow described is also easy to make. Basically your folding back the shield to allow the center conductor to become the radiating element, the whip, of the antenna. The shield folded back becomes the radials, or ground plane. It's a very simple design, and if your not looking for super range it works great.

A J-Pole is also easy to make and tune for any band. There is plenty of sites out there with J-Pole calculators on them, just type in your frequency, or the center of a range that you need, and it gives you all the dimensions to build it in one click.

What type of antenna was it that Casey made you? Post a pic of it maybe? If you can't get a hold of the guy i could help out with another source or even help you build one.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
paramedic218

Post by paramedic218 »

wouldn't a small vhf portable radio with a magnet or some type of hanger work. just a thought ???
jrm5265
Batboard $upporter

ant

Post by jrm5265 »

what we ended up doing was taking a dipole (coaxial) antenna and arranging it in or on a coathanger and then put something over it worked good
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

Yep, and the LEA body wire company wants $100 for that exact thing.

:lol:

crazy

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”