Spectra Wiring Question

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

W4KTL

Spectra Wiring Question

Post by W4KTL »

I've already done a forum search and couldn't find an answer. I just purchased a VHF Spectra (45 watt version) with remote head. On the trunk mount unit next to the ant connector there is another connector (DB15 I think). Coming out of this connector are the speaker wires, plus a red wire. Does this red wire connect to 12V pos?

Also, at the remote end of the connecting cable there is another DB15 that is pigtailed. No place on my remote head for this. Is this used for programming or for a second control head?

Thanks for helping a noobie out!
Mrbmw99

Post by Mrbmw99 »

The red wire coming out of the DB15 connector on the radio chassis should be your 12v ignition sense wire. The second DB15 up near the head unit is simply an extension of the one on the chassis I believe. You can treat it the same. You can pull your speaker audio out of it and hook up the 12v ign wire to it. Brett W
W4KTL

Post by W4KTL »

Thanks!
wx4cbh

Post by wx4cbh »

On a remote mount midpower unit like that, the rear DB15 can go unused. The control head end of the remote cable has the green and orange wires and the speaker pair. Orange to ignition or a switch, green to the battery. Motorola is adamant about the green wire being attached to the same voltage source point as the large red wire on all their radios equipped as such. The rear DB can still be used for other accessory functions, as can the VIP portion of the control head connector.
curmudgeon.....and I like it.
akardam

Post by akardam »

You're talking about the newer, X9000 style cables. He's referring to the older style Spectra cable, which has only the one small gauge red ignition sense wire. With the newer cable you have to use the orange/green and speaker connector near the head. With the older cable you can put it in either position, but it makes more sense to put the speaker and igsense lead near the head because the body'll likely be in the trunk or somewhere out of the way.
wx4cbh

Post by wx4cbh »

akardam 1, wx4cbh 0. I Shoulda been better at speed reading posts.
curmudgeon.....and I like it.
W4KTL

Post by W4KTL »

Thanks all, I got everything wired up but the unit won't power up. I checked the power connection & DB15 with a voltmeter and it's good. The seller is sending me a UPS call tag to pick up and exchange. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
K0DEN

Post by K0DEN »

did you check the fuses? i know it seems like a moot question, but sometimes the most experienced forget something that simple
W4KTL

Post by W4KTL »

Yeah, I sure did. Wish it had been something simple. Waiting now on the UPS pickup tag to arrive.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Maybe you know and maybe you don't, but you need +12 volt power on the TX PA cable feed in order for the radio to turn on.

I found that out the hard way myself some time back.

Jim

[quote="W4KTL"]Yeah, I sure did. Wish it had been something simple. Waiting now on the UPS pickup tag to arrive.[/quote]

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”