What's with the emergency lighting etc...

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

W4KLR

What's with the emergency lighting etc...

Post by W4KLR »

What is with all of the emergency lighting and sirens people are putting in their vehicles. Are there this many volunteer firefighters, or is it one of the perks to having a ticket? I don't get it. Does being part of ARES or RACES allow for this kind of response equipment in your vehicle?

Or are there just many people doing illegal modifications?

Been browsing this site for a few months now and noticed this, I have a knack for Whelen stuff.
Bob

Post by Bob »

While there are a lot of hams on this board, a huge number of people on this board are either involved in Public Safety on a paid or volunteer basis, or are involved in businesses that outfit vehicles for public safety agencies. Many members fall into two or all three categories.

In addition to being a ham, I am a former firefighter, and a currently practing EMT (and Communications Officer) with a busy volunteer ambulance squad. Along with my father, I own a business that sells, installs, and repairs emergency warning and communications equipment. Our customer base includes two local police departments and numerous fire and EMS agencies across New York State.

That said, every install is a unique adventure. Some are more challenging than others, and some require a great deal of creativity and attention to detail. I find it cool when someone can install 3 W9 radios in a Dodge Neon and keep the factory look.
kg4ere

Post by kg4ere »

///
Last edited by kg4ere on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Station House Products
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by Station House Products »

FF/EMT here. I also own a business that sells and services lighting, radios, sirens, etc.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

If you want lively chat about this topic, you may want to check out some of the threads over at http://www.hamsexy.com
gws
Batboard $upporter

Post by gws »

Take a look around, Strobes are being put on EVERYTHING. Lawn care companies have stobes on there vehicles that might be parked near the street, anything city, county, state or federal has strobes and often lights.
Heck take a look at Police vehicles, Just how many light can you put on one vehicle!!!! Light bar on the top, light bar on the back deck, light bar in the trunk, strobes everywhere else.
Gary N8EMR
HowD

Totally Strobular, Dude...

Post by HowD »

Strobes are being put on EVERYTHING
They have to out-strobe the guy down the road so you can see them...Philly PD, years ago, when they first got the Federal lightbars, got complaints about the white strobes blinding oncoming motorists...
jedi_saber
Batboard $upporter

Re: Totally Strobular, Dude...

Post by jedi_saber »

HowD wrote:
white strobes blinding oncoming motorists...
I love clear strobes exactly for that purpose... If it is blinding you, pull over and stop!
kg6bki

Post by kg6bki »

I prefer when Providing assistance to a motorist or I have to pull my car off to the side of the road. People...Ie motorists are more likely to slow down if you have some led's and strobes on the car. Where I am in California and the laws here are so stupid the PD will pull you over for anyting....lol...stupid california. But I still have my Amber Led's in my honda accord and I am going to putt Amber 3's in the front grill....hidden of course...

B
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

ambers in the front? i don't see the point...only time the front of my truck is lit up is to respond to a call. If i ever have to pull over, it's gonna be on MY side of the road, and the 4ways do a good enough job to the front. The blinkenlighten on the back just tell people where the ass end is, not blind them. They get dazzled, and rear end someone...who's lights caused what problem? I don't think i need warning power to the front, because if i'm on my side of the road, the end of the car i'm more worried about is the end i cant' see all the time.
bellersley
No Longer Registered

Post by bellersley »

Well, it'd be my opinion that the only reason you'd need lights to the front is if your intent is to move traffic and/or pull someone over. I can understand lights to the rear (and sides) if you're stopped on the side of a road or what not. I can't think of too many times you'd pull over facing traffic so you need front lights.
HowD

Exactly...

Post by HowD »

That was the complaint...the cars with the strobes were stopped...the oncoming traffic was getting blinded by the overhead strobes. They can be turned on and off separately from the blue and reds.

The sound of the strobes is neat, though...just like the old days with a camera.
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

Well i am Member of Middletown Emergency Managment. We Get Very Little Money From the city so some times i have to use my trucks for moving equipment/onscene.

Also i own a Small Business Doing Non-Emergency Vehicles

Plows/Tow Trucks/Service trucks

Plus a few of my Customers i also act as road Servcie/Fleet Repair.

sometimes you have to park against traffic and you need front Protection for

for jump starting and other things like that
kg6bki

Post by kg6bki »

Chances of me using the front ones are slim to none. I mostly use my rear window ones more. They are ok though. Going to put some strobes in the front headlights when I recover from my surgery here....onlya few more days and then I get the stitches out. Then maybe I can get outside...

B
gws
Batboard $upporter

Post by gws »

bellersley wrote: I can't think of too many times you'd pull over facing traffic so you need front lights.
Drive down a country road one evening and you will why forward lights are good. With the road just wide enough for a couple of cars to pass and most people driving in the middle of the road. LIGHTS fore and aft are needed.
Gary N8EMR
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Amber to the front is slowly gaining ground for emergency vehicle. In Los Angles (California where else?!?) LAFD has a few ambulances with amber center section rotators with red/amber intersection lights. Aside from clear/white lights, amber is the next best thing reguardless of atmospheric conditions and time of day.

If you talk to Chuck (SHP), a lot of his guys run blue/amber to the front for use on the highway. According to him, people pay more attention to the amber than the blue.

Some emegerncy vehicles are run amber on a switch to the front so if they are parked against the flow of traffic, they can use it to suppliment the warning lights and shut off any white lights.

Its still a regional thing.

This was taken at the Hollywood station a few years ago:

jedi_saber
Batboard $upporter

Post by jedi_saber »

I don't know about you guys, but everytime I see amber on an emergency vehicle that is all lit up from afar, I assume it is the rear of it. Seeing white, I figure it is coming at me. I think it would be great to retain a standard like that.

Then of course there are places like Houston, where HPD's huge fleet's Whelen 8 strobe lightbars look the same front and rear (minus Takedown's)... red, amber, white, blue.... Kinda difficult to tell if it is coming or going. But then again, when you see any lights flashing at you, you are supposed to slow down and pay attention anyway - however all of us in LE/public safety know that turning on lights and sirens bring out the retards in some people on our roads.
EPC_1111
What radios do you own?: More than you could imagine

Post by EPC_1111 »

kg6bki wrote:Chances of me using the front ones are slim to none. I mostly use my rear window ones more. They are ok though. Going to put some strobes in the front headlights when I recover from my surgery here....onlya few more days and then I get the stitches out. Then maybe I can get outside...
B
Go with wig wags, their warning power is far more effective than hide aways in the headlights. Plus strobeheads are drowned out by the low beams.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

bellersley wrote:Well, it'd be my opinion that the only reason you'd need lights to the front is if your intent is to move traffic and/or pull someone over. I can understand lights to the rear (and sides) if you're stopped on the side of a road or what not. I can't think of too many times you'd pull over facing traffic so you need front lights.
well, the few lights i have to the front are halogen & they are strictly "courtesy" lights according to local legislature. We're EMS folk, no pulling over of anyone here!

if i was doing stuff where i'd be pulling people over, i would be a cop....in a cop car.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”