Astro Spectra Serial number

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

HOWARD

Astro Spectra Serial number

Post by HOWARD »

I recently bought a used Astro Spectra and noticed the Serial Number in the CPS doesn't match the Serial number on the case...which leads me to believe the S/N can somehow be changed...any idea how? This radio was recently sent to Depot (paperwork came with radio) Where is the serial number actually stored? I opened up a .cpg file with a hex editor and it doesn't seem to be their. Any ideas? At this point I'm curious...Howard
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Two possibilities:

1. Someone dumped a S-Record in to the radio with a different flash and serial number

2. There was a problem with the Vocon, and someone replaced the vocon from another radio with a different serial number and retuned the radio.

Those really are the only ways that it could have been changed.

-Alex
Alan

Post by Alan »

What did they do at the depot? I have seen them replace a board and load the wrong flashcode once and i have seen the wrong serial number once.
Read the repair slip from depot. If they replaced the board that contains the serial number, they may have loaded the wrong s/n into it.
wb4bsd
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS5000v, MTS2000v, MTS2000u

Post by wb4bsd »

Personally i would go with the S-record theory myself. I doubt the depot would goof up on something like that. but hey, thats just MPO.
Rusty
(I no longer have nextel. I now have an iPhone)
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

You guys forgot number 3.

The case has been changed.

Not likely, but possible, what if they put the wrong case back on it? Or the case was changed previously.

I hardly ever get a matching serial number when buying MT1000's and HT600's off ebay. Usually because they put the best parts together to make one nice looking radio to sell.

I'm also guilty of putting the working radio into the better case from a dead radio, etc.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
HOWARD

Post by HOWARD »

Which one of the boards contains the serial number? Just some mumbo jumbo about aligning to spec and testing perfromance.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

It would be the VOCON board, and the S/N is electronic. I don't believe there is a printed verison on the board itself (none that I have never noticed at least).
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
HOWARD

Post by HOWARD »

Thanks PJ, you just saved me from checking for a printed version on the board! The radio works good, so I'll leave well enough alone and peel the sticker off of the outside so it doesn't look suspicious. Anyway, thanks for answering my questions.
Howard
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

Seems it would look more suspicious without a visable serial #.

SG
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: sonic screwdriver

Post by sglass »

HOWARD wrote:so I'll leave well enough alone and peel the sticker off of the outside so it doesn't look suspicious.
why would you remove any distinguishing marks?

Who cares if the internal sn doesn't match. The only one that will know that is the guy programming it-if he even looks.

I'm with spectragod here, removing a ser# is fishy-leaving it on is not.
HOWARD

Post by HOWARD »

Good point, I geuss it was something that just annoyed me! I'll leave the stickers alone.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”