HT1250 "Can't Open port" problem

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

dxon2m

HT1250 "Can't Open port" problem

Post by dxon2m »

I've searched the whole forum and tried to setting the COM port address and IRQ manually. Still no luck for me. I'm using a PIII 1.2Ghz Win XP with CPS 06.04.00 AA and a Ribless cable

Is there any way that I can tell if my COM port is occupied by something else?
Will

Post by Will »

Windows has a habit of stealing the com port(s).

Restart windows from a COLD start, like you just turned on the computer.
Then go directly to the CPS.
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

motorola cps don't always like windows xp either, you can try an older machine with 98 or 95 on it.
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
J.Sanor
What radios do you own?: Twin-V and an HT200

can't open port

Post by J.Sanor »

When you go to read the radio go to the file tab and chose "read device" you should get a pop up window "select port" and you should be able to chose your com port.
dxon2m

Post by dxon2m »

Do you think using Windows 98 for the CPS will help the situation?

Also what are some of the ways to check whether the ribless cable is not defective or not?
jim

Post by jim »

CPS is designed to run on XP machines.

Make sure that something isn't tying up the port such as a driver from seomthing that's not plugged into the com port. Even a device that WAS plugged in the com port may have its driver running without the device being plugged in.
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

How to check the status of your COM ports:

Go to the start menu, and select "settings", then "control panel".

Once the control panel window is open, if in "catagory view", select "performance and maintenance", then "system (should be at the bottom of the screen)". If in "classic view", select "system" directly.

At this point, you should have a "system properties" window on your screen. Select the "hardware" tab, then the "device manager" button.

In the window that opens, scroll down to the "ports (COM & LPT)" selection, and click the "+" sign to the left of it. You should get a list of all COM ports and LPT ports on your computer. Doubleclick on the one which corresponds to the one you are attempting to use with your RIB. The window that pops up should give you all the details of the port, and it should be labled as "in use" if it is currently being used, as well as telling you what program or device is using it.

Another idea you might try, if you don't have any port conflicts, is a program called "MSConfig", which should be included with Windows. Try searching for it. It will allow you to alter the way Windows boots, such as not loading certain programs and drivers. This should allow you to "turn off" any programs that may be interfering with the CPS, then turn them back on after you are finished programming.
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
n1pfc

Post by n1pfc »

Another thing I've run into is that if you start up windows with the radio connected to it, windows thinks its a mouse and sets the port accordingly. I'm not sure if you're booting the computer up with the radio already attached or waiting to attach it after starting the CPS.

Kurt
I am <I>NOT</I> Hamsexy
dxon2m

Post by dxon2m »

After spending so many hours behind the computer and messing with things. I still can't get this darn thing work.

I tried to run CPS on Windows XP Home and 2000 Pro, both are freshly installed on a empty hard drive. Still no luck. The same "can't open port" message still pops up.

I made sure that I'm plugged the cable into COM1 and that's what I chose in the CPS.

It doesn't matter whether the radio is turned on or not, I still get the same message...which makes me think more and more that this is a cable problem.

Any...other...clues? :(
Thnx all
Nand

Post by Nand »

Unless you know for sure that your serial port is working, you should test it with HyperTerm. HyperTerm is a terminal program that comes with Windows and is located some place in a Accessories/Communications folder.

What you need to do is jumper pins 2 and 3 of the serial port that you like to test. This will let you echo typed keyboard characters back on the screen. You should notice a difference with or without the jumper. Just make sure you select the COM port in HyperTerm. If local echo is turned, you should see your typed characters double.

If you have another serial device like an external modem, you likely can test the port that way as well using HyperTerm.

Nand.
dxon2m

Post by dxon2m »

Thanks Nand,

I tried the hyperterminal method and yes I do get echoed letters when the pins are jumper-ed but not the other way. So I guess this tells me the port is at least working?
Al

Post by Al »

There are two other things to check that will give the "unable to open port message":
1. No power to RIB or nonfunctional RIB
2. Defective RIB to radio cable
dxon2m

Post by dxon2m »

Well it's a ribless cable. So it's hard for me to tell whether the cable is defective or not.

May be I should just stick with conventional RIB box and cable setups..
HLA

Post by HLA »

some of those ribless cables have led's on them letting you know they have power, does yours have one and is it on?
HLA
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
dxon2m

Post by dxon2m »

Nope, mine is just a TTL converter inside the serial cover.

Will the RIB still work properly in Windows if I use a standard DB25 cable and CPS?
Nand

Post by Nand »

Here is another item to check. The power for the Motorola ribless cable comes from the radio. Check with a voltmeter if you have about 5 volts on pin 3 (counting from the top of the accessory connector) to pin7 (ground). Also check if the RS232 9 pin to 25 pin adapter that you likely are using is ok.

Nand.
Last edited by Nand on Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
HLA

Post by HLA »

so how exactly do you know this is a ribless cable? it really sounds like it's a regular cable from everything you have described. can you take the serial connector appart and verify there is electronics in it or is it molded plastic? and where did you get the cable? did you just get it or have you had it and used it in the past?
HLA
Nand

Post by Nand »

The real Motorola "RIBless"cable.

Nand.
dxon2m

Post by dxon2m »

Well here's the inside of my cable...I got this ribless cable from a friend who is currently on duty now.

Nand

Post by Nand »

No doubt you notice the difference in components for both of these. My guess is that the non-Motorola cable isn’t doing exactly what it is supposed to do. The real thing isn’t that terrible expensive.

Nand.
HLA

Post by HLA »

am i seeing that white wire not connected? if i were you i'd get a rib box and a cable and be done with it.
HLA
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

If I'm seeing what Jeff also thinks he's seeing, you have a broken wire. Looks like the white wire isn't attached to the circuit board any more. Look and see if it's obviously been broken.
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
dxon2m

Post by dxon2m »

I just checked the pins voltage as Nand suggested and I got almost 7V across them. So at least the port has power from the radio.

Now I just sit and wait for the stupid rib cable to come. Thanks to all who helped though :D
rdmahurin

Post by rdmahurin »

One thing I have found for sure is CPS is a bit fickle when it comes to USB to Serial adapters. I would definitely get a PC with one real serial port.
dxon2m

Post by dxon2m »

Well guess what, I got another cable. Still same problem, radio does nothing when I try to read the codeplug, and the same "Can't open port" message is still on CPS. I'm sure that my serial port and RIB has power going though it. I used voltmeter to check my programming port on the 1250 and I get at least 7V across.

Could it be the radio itself is disabled from re-programming or something?
HLA

Post by HLA »

if it says can't open port, the signal isn't getting out of the computer so it probablly isn't the radio. if the radio was locked it would still show up on the screen and ask you for a password.
HLA
I82

Post by I82 »

Hi,

Did you manage to solve the problem?

Because I'm in the same situation with my GP380...

Erro message displayed : "Couldn't open port. Check whether Device/RIB are powered on or not, and the device to rib, and the rib to pc connection is ok."

Any solution?

Thanks,

I82
wanabe

Post by wanabe »

Same with my MTS 2000 lll on both comp. running ME and 2000 "Couldn't open port. Check whether Device/RIB are powered on or not, and the device to rib, and the rib to pc connection is ok." I have looked every where for an answer and have done every thing that is posted here. Oh well
:cry:
Batboard $upporter
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

wanabe wrote:Same with my MTS 2000 lll on both comp. running ME and 2000 "Couldn't open port. Check whether Device/RIB are powered on or not, and the device to rib, and the rib to pc connection is ok." I have looked every where for an answer and have done every thing that is posted here. Oh well
:cry:
You're using Windows CPS, and not DOS RSS, right?
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
wanabe

Post by wanabe »

Yes Todd, thanks for the reply--Windows CPS r06.04 , I tried on 2 diff. sys. Windows ME and 2000. Will
Batboard $upporter
muggsy09

Post by muggsy09 »

I had the same issue, I couldn't get this one HT1250 to read. I was programming 10 of them and all except this one read fine. The problem was I was using an aftermarket rib, (usually works fine) As soon as I used the Motorola RIB no further problems. Radio read fine.

~Muggsy~
wanabe

Post by wanabe »

It is a after market from fleabay http://cgi.ebay.com/RIB-less-Programmin ... dZViewItem The directions in the ad tells you to use com port 1. I am using com port 2. I wonder if it makes a difference. Oh well, I am off to get a real rib and cable..
Batboard $upporter
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

wanabe wrote:Yes Todd, thanks for the reply--Windows CPS r06.04 , I tried on 2 diff. sys. Windows ME and 2000. Will
Um, that's the wrong CPS...it appears you're trying to use the HT/CDM series CPS. The MTS2000 has it's own CPS, 1.13.00 is the latest version.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”