Programming HT1000 in Win XP

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kb0uxv

Programming HT1000 in Win XP

Post by kb0uxv »

From the research I have done in the forums here it appears the DOS RSS will not program in Windows XP. Is it possible to make a DOS boot CD with the RSS on it so that I can program this radio?

Thanks for your help…
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

yes, but not from xp, make a boot cd from 98 or millennium and start the machine with the floppy and you should be good to go. i use a millennium startup floppy myself and have never had a problem. after the computer is started use your dos commands to find your rss and you are in business.
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
kb0uxv

Post by kb0uxv »

Great! Unfortunetly I dont have a 98 or ME CD to make the boot CD...is there anywhere on the net to get this?

Thanks
PeterK

Post by PeterK »

lock at this site http://www.putergeek.com/downloads/
Hope you get it running

If you want to have a real dos installed on your computer install DOS first then install Win XP. When computer starts up you get an startup menu to choose DOS or Win XP.
Hope you all understand my bad english. I was sleaping at my english lessons at scool....
kb0uxv

Post by kb0uxv »

Next time I reformat I will install DOS first, thats a good idea. I went to http://www.bootdisk.com and got a ME boot floppy. After booting from floppy it did not recognize my hard drive (probably because its SATA/RAID) so I booted with CD support and just ran the RSS off the CD. Worked great. Thanks for the adivce guys.
Nand

Hwo to create a DOS bootdisk in XP.

Post by Nand »

Create a DOS bootdisk in XP.

Open “My Computer”.
Right click the A drive.
Select “Format...”.
Check the “Make MS DOS bootdisk" box.
Click “Start”.

This will create a Win ME boot disk in Windows XP that lets you run the HT1000 RSS leaving enough room for the HT1000 RSS.

Nand.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

kb0uxv wrote:Next time I reformat I will install DOS first, thats a good idea. I went to http://www.bootdisk.com and got a ME boot floppy. After booting from floppy it did not recognize my hard drive (probably because its SATA/RAID)
Actually, it probably didn't recognize your hard drive because it's formatted as NTFS as opposed to FAT32...although it could be the SATA as well. Glad to hear it worked for you from the CD. I've seen several posts where people have burnt their entire MRSS directory to a CD in order to run all their RSS upon boot-up.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
wa2zdy

Post by wa2zdy »

To go further into this one . . . I know RSS has to be run in pure DOS, no biggie. But now this thread leads one to believe that the Jedi series and maybe other "earlier" radios can be programmed on PCs faster than the usually recommended 386/486 machines which are getting harder to find.

Any thoughts? HT1000, MT2000? I also have GM300, Maztracs, and of course my ever present Genesis but I KNOW fast machines turn the Genesis stuff into bricks.

Thanks for the help!
Chris,
Hamming 31 years
http://www.wa2zdy.com
Wesley Chapel, Pasco County, Florida
Snow? What's that?!
The human race is proof that Darwin was wrong.
HumHead

Post by HumHead »

As Motorola updated the RSS packages for some lines they fixed the UART timing dependency that required the use of a slower computer. If the RSS package for an older product series did not get updated, it is permanently dependent on a slow computer.

Somewhere out there (I can't find it at the moment) there is a "compatibility matrix" that outlines which RSS packages are updated to play well with fater machines.

[edit- take a look at this thread for more information: http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=22043 ]
kb0uxv

Post by kb0uxv »

I just programmed my HT1000 using DOS with an AMD 64bit Venice Athlon at about 2200mhz, 2 gigs of ram. I didnt realize there were issues with faster computers making the radios into bricks...but, everything worked normally.
wa2zdy

Post by wa2zdy »

Thanks!
Chris,
Hamming 31 years
http://www.wa2zdy.com
Wesley Chapel, Pasco County, Florida
Snow? What's that?!
The human race is proof that Darwin was wrong.
Wolfy
What radios do you own?: MT1000, HT10, Spectra, MaxTrac

MOSLO.....

Post by Wolfy »

Before I got the hardware to destroy my radios myself.... I had a Moto tech program one of my MT1000's .... and he used a program called MOSLO .... said worked every time for him for all the radios... and he used a laptop running XP as its primary OS.... with a DOS option on the boot menu....

From http://www.hpaa.com/moslo/

Have you purchased a new system only to find that old programs run too fast or fail to load? Mo’Slo can give many old programs new life. Since 1990, Mo’Slo has been a favorite utility for slowing fast PCs to run speed-sensitive programs. It’s been recommended by major software companies and on countless newsgroups and computer bulletin boards worldwide.

Mo’Slo is designed to slow a specific program, not the entire operating system (though Mo’Slo 4BIZ can slow the system if that’s what you want). Mo’Slo saves the system state, slows the system to a specified speed, then runs the specified program. When the program exits, Mo’Slo restores the system to its previous state and exits also.

Mo’Slo has evolved considerably over the years, and you can now choose from three products:

Mo’Slo basic is a no-frills DOS slowdown engine with two slowdown methods and 0.01% slowdown increment. An evaluation version is available for download...[more]

Mo’Slo Deluxe is the most capable product for use in ‘real’ MS-DOS. It has three slowdown methods, cache disabling, processor emulations, keyboard speed adjustment, and the ability to slow batch files and pass command arguments to slowed programs...[more]

Mo’Slo 4BIZ is the most capable and convenient Mo’Slo for both business apps and games in Windows. Mo’Slo 4BIZ has two DOS slowdown methods, three Win32 slowdown methods, and an easy-to-use Windows interface. Mo’Slo 4BIZ can slow both DOS and Windows programs with little or no discernable impact on Windows or other programs...[more]

Mo’Slo basic and Deluxe can slow many DOS programs in Windows, but are most effective in real MS-DOS. All Mo’Slo products run on all current Intel-compatible processors through Pentium 4 & Athlon, on DOS-compatible platforms through Windows XP as well as OS/2, Linux and MacOS DOS emulators. The Mo’Slo 4BIZ installer requires Windows compatibility.

Hopefully helps some......

Wolfy
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

eek! moslo!

it's been a while since someone cut and pasted the webpage for it.

YMMV.

if you have a computer fast enough to run windows...you shouldn't use it on RSS.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Moslo has been covered here many times in the past. Bottom line, your mileage will vary with it. It 'slows down' the processor by introducing interrupt loops in the program. Although this does effectively slow down the processing of the RSS, allowing some older packages to run, it also interrupts the read/write cycle of the radio...which can result in either no read/write capability at all, or possibly 'bricking' the radio. Use at your own risk.

In reality, just about every programmable radio can be used on faster computers, as long as you are using the latest RSS version available. Notable exceptions are MCX1000, STX, i20R, Mostar/Traxar and Syntor stuff as they were never updated. The latest HT600/MT1000 is shown in the compatibility matrix to work on Pentium class computers, and they do work just fine on my 1.7GHz Celeron.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

It's not the speed so much...

Post by kc7gr »

With DOS-based RSS, it's not the speed of the system that matters so much as the processor's internal cache. I found this out from our engineering folk, who went through all the hoops with MoSlo and fast vs. slow computers long before I got here.

The main issue with DOS-based RSS on fast computers is, if the processor's internal cache is enabled, RSS code may be executed in a different sequence than the RSS actually expects. This tends to crash the RSS, the computer, or both.

One solution I've seen, and tried on a couple of my own systems with some success, is a tiny little assembly-code program called 'cacheoff.com.' Googling for "cacheoff.com" (include the quotes) will get you a whole raft of info on it, including the instructions to write the program yourself using DEBUG. It also has a twin brother, 'cacheon.com,' to turn the cache back on after you're done using RSS (leaving it off will cause a noticeable slowdown in some systems).

I've tried this trick with a 486/66 and Syntor X9000 software (a combo that does not usually work). It worked fine the moment I turned off the cache. However, as with any setup, YMMV.

Happy tweaking.
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”