Relay / Solenoid recommendations

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Bob

Relay / Solenoid recommendations

Post by Bob »

I'm looking for manufacturers and part numbers for continuous duty relays and/or solenoids.

I have a customer who wants to ignition-switch his entire lighting package. The install was designed around an 80 amp draw, but the actual draw is around 50 amps. To keep consistant, I'm looking or something that's rated at 80 amps, continuous duty.

I've looked at some of the TST products. They'll be out of the scope of this particular project, but I'm looking into them for the next install I do.

Input?
wx4cbh

Post by wx4cbh »

www(dot)wranglernw(dot)com

www(dot)painlesswiring(dot)com

www(dot)waytekwire(dot)com
curmudgeon.....and I like it.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Bosch sells a 75A constant-duty SPST relay that's available from Tessco and others. I use them to switch my master busses with no trouble. Tessco part #53273, about $18 at Gold pricing.
JohnWayne

Post by JohnWayne »

I've gotten heavy duty solenoids from the four-wheel drive/truck accessory shop before. They are used on winches, so just ask them for a winch solenoid.

Jeff
440roadrunner

Post by 440roadrunner »

just ask them for a winch solenoid

Code: Select all

Be careful with stuff like that.    Some of these parts people don't know what they're talking about.  I'd recommend that you cause the sales person to show you in the catalogue that this IS in FACT  a continuous duty solenoid.

(I sold that stuff for 15 years)

A hint--if  you pay less than about 20.00, it's probably a "starter"  relay.

Pollak, and NAPA,  as well as any "real" parts store, used to market them.   With the current  chain store attitude, it's anyone's guess.

kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

Go visit a local car audio shop. They usually carry continuous duty relays in various ratings, one local shop here sells them up to 200amp models.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
spareparts
Batboard $upporter

Post by spareparts »

Grainger:
6C028
Price (ea) : $22.78
Manufacturer: ESSEX WHITE RODGERS
Mfg. Model#: 70-111224-5
comm2

Post by comm2 »

the 75 amp bosch would be my choice, never had a problem
Tech225

Post by Tech225 »

The local RV supply stores usually have continous duty relays on the shelf. They look like a starter relay but are all metal, no plastic body. Usually the price is bearable also.
eboe

Post by eboe »

i put a cole hersee #24143 in my truck for just that purpose. that model is 200A continuous duty, but if that's overkill for you they have others. local auto parts store liberated me of $49.65
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce and brave man, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain
Bob

Post by Bob »

Thanks guys. I don't trust the folks at AutoZone or Advance Auto to come up with part numbers for me. Unless you give them a specific vehicle and application, they're pretty well useless. I ended up with a starter solenoid a couple days ago that I'm going to have to take back.

I keep forgetting that there's a Grainger about 15 miles from me.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

I have used the Bosch relays for a number of years. They work good.

A word of caution on what ever you end up using. Try to stay away from push on crimp connectors. they end up coming loose over time and will burn up the connection. I tend to try finding a relay with screw terminal connections. Never had a loose connection with this style. The crimp spade lugs work fine on the screw terminals on the relay.

Jim

comm2 wrote:the 75 amp bosch would be my choice, never had a problem

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”