Old JEDIs - better quality than newer ones??

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Keygun

Old JEDIs - better quality than newer ones??

Post by Keygun »

Hi folks.

I`m playing with JEDI-radios since many years. I have a number of them with a wide range of manufacturing dates. In my opinion the older ones (1997 and older) are of better quality.

Why?

Not only the well known display problems on radios made after 1998 - i still have to see one bad display an a, lets say, 1994 radio. There are some other annoyances on the newer models. The almost ever present noisy transmit (cracking, popping noises) - i mostly encounter this on newer radios. One exception are very used old radios. It seems wear and tear is making things worse (maybe this is the price, we have to pay
for the el cheapo screwless snap-together construction......).

On some of the newer radios i can hear steady buzzing sounds, when transmitting. It is not loud, but it is there. I sounds like an CTCSS-tone, but no CTCSS is programmed. I grabbed some older JEDIs (1993, `94 and `95) for comparision - nothing, completely quiet transmit.

Also on some of the newer radios i can hear a digital sounding humming noise, on the received signal. It is very faint, but my ears are working good. I was not able to find an older JEDI, which is doing the same.......

It seems, while assembling the (newer) JEDIs, they don´t bother to remove the white sticker (with the parts number on it) from the underside of the RF-board, even when its clearly visible that the edge of this sticker will be wedged in between PA-Module and frame, when the board is inserted. I don´t think, this plastic sticker works good as a heat conducting pad. So nobody has to wonder, if the PA is fried after a short time of use, due the lack of thermal contact to the frame. I had to remove the mentioned sticker on 8 radios (1998 and 1999)......

I know, this subject is almost beaten to death, but i`m very interested in your opinion and personal experiences about Jedi quality issues.

Regards

Keygun
RR Spectra

Post by RR Spectra »

As a newbie, what is a "Jedi" radio and why are they called "Jedi"?
It's all about the /\/\oney!!!
libuff

Post by libuff »

Jedi is the Model Line, it includes the HT1000, MT2000, MTS2000, and the XTS line.

Waris is the CDM, and HT750/1250/1550.

i know there are other model lines, but don't know the name...

they are named as such for no particular reason that i am aware of. like why a car is named for something...
RR Spectra

Post by RR Spectra »

libuff wrote:Jedi is the Model Line, it includes the HT1000, MT2000, MTS2000, and the XTS line.

Waris is the CDM, and HT750/1250/1550.

i know there are other model lines, but don't know the name...

they are named as such for no particular reason that i am aware of. like why a car is named for something...
So "Jedi" is actually a Motorola internal code name?
It's all about the /\/\oney!!!
bellersley
No Longer Registered

Post by bellersley »

Just a correction, the XTS isn't part of the Jedi line, it's part of the Cosmo line. They do however, use the same accessories (speaker-mic, antennas, battery chargers, etc...).

Also, the MTX series radios (MTX838, MTX8000, MTX9000 and MTX2000) are part of the Jedi series.

The JT1000 should also be thrown in there.
Will

Post by Will »

Keygun,

I would tend to agree. That is pretty much what I have found over the many years servicing the Jedi series radios.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

yeah, what can I say, it's Motorola. it's always something. at least Kenwood, Icom and even Vertex still believe in using screws to hold there radios together. You know my 11year old TK-250's dont have any of these problems, and they have been through hell and back. ..
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
wa2zdy

Post by wa2zdy »

As much as I love my MT2000 and HT1000, this is why the Genesis series are still much revered.

And RRSpectra yes, that is the M code name. Genesis applies to the P200, HT600, MT1000, some of the older 800MHz stuff (I don't know model numbers) and some European stuff, noteably the HT600E which is the EU equivalent of the MT1000.
Chris,
Hamming 31 years
http://www.wa2zdy.com
Wesley Chapel, Pasco County, Florida
Snow? What's that?!
The human race is proof that Darwin was wrong.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

What do you expect from the new Motorola management. More costly radios, more profit, les quality. That's the name Motorola is making for themselfs.

Jim

wa2zdy wrote:As much as I love my MT2000 and HT1000, this is why the Genesis series are still much revered.

And RRSpectra yes, that is the M code name. Genesis applies to the P200, HT600, MT1000, some of the older 800MHz stuff (I don't know model numbers) and some European stuff, noteably the HT600E which is the EU equivalent of the MT1000.
Keygun

Post by Keygun »

I don`t think that JEDIs are bad radios. When everything works as it should, they can perform very good. But nevertheless they are a big step backwards - compared to milestones like SABER. And Genesis? They are unbelievable. Probably the most rugged handheld, M ever build.

I really don´t know, what going on with M. For me it seems, that often the last production runs of a certain model, starts to lack quality. Maybe M don´t want to make the last ones too good, in order to make it easier, to sell their new stuff?

Keygun

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”