Mazda Protege... anyone?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RadShop
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Mazda Protege... anyone?

Post by RadShop »

Anyone seen, or done in an install on a Mazda Protege?

I'm looking for some ideas for two GM300s, or quite possibly two Maxtracs. I can custom fabricate some brackets, but the room in the vehicle is SO tight, that I'm not exactly sure where I can put them. I'd like to have access to the heads so that I can change channels and such, but am really clueless on any place where anything could be installed. And yes, I need the passengers seat. Top of the dashboard is not really an option either.

Antenna mounting is going to have to be considered also. Was thinking about window mounts, but then I realized I have those adhered wires for the defroster on my back window. Do those work okay if they come in contact with the wires for the defroster? Never really used the window mounts at all before.

Ideas? Anyone? I'd like to keep this pretty clean, and low profile if possible. Don't exactly want one of the bastards that I go to school with to rip-it-off if my car is unlocked.
ESDA20

Post by ESDA20 »

I wouldn't put it on the window with the defroster lines. Turn that defroster on and see what happens to your signal. :-D
RadShop

Post by RadShop »

ESDA20 wrote:I wouldn't put it on the window with the defroster lines. Turn that defroster on and see what happens to your signal. :-D
I guess I wasn't really clear with my post.

Would it harm the antenna to have it on the glass where there are NOT any of those defroster lines? Obviously there are some smaller chunks of it where an antenna could be placed. I guess I'm just wondering if the heating up from the glass might cause damage to the antenna if it's rapidly going hot-cold because of the defroster being on during a storm or something...
afterimage84

Re: Mazda Protege... anyone?

Post by afterimage84 »

i am guessing, since you are using some really OLD radios...cost is a factor here...like you don't want to spend any? because quickmount makes a remote kit for the maxtrac's you may want to consider. they will cost you though.

RadShop_Intern wrote:Anyone seen, or done in an install on a Mazda Protege?

I'm looking for some ideas for two GM300s, or quite possibly two Maxtracs. I can custom fabricate some brackets, but the room in the vehicle is SO tight, that I'm not exactly sure where I can put them. I'd like to have access to the heads so that I can change channels and such, but am really clueless on any place where anything could be installed. And yes, I need the passengers seat. Top of the dashboard is not really an option either.

Antenna mounting is going to have to be considered also. Was thinking about window mounts, but then I realized I have those adhered wires for the defroster on my back window. Do those work okay if they come in contact with the wires for the defroster? Never really used the window mounts at all before.

Ideas? Anyone? I'd like to keep this pretty clean, and low profile if possible. Don't exactly want one of the bastards that I go to school with to rip-it-off if my car is unlocked.
Suddenly You Were Gone
wa2zdy

Post by wa2zdy »

I'm probably going to be getting a small car one day soon. The Protege, a Civic, that category. I haven't had a chance to look into it but I've been thinking of this possibility.

A mount, maybe a Gamber Johnson, mounted flat to the floor in front of the passenger seat as close to the hump/console as possible. Do this with the seat already positioned as far to the rear as possible. It's not like the back seat has any legroom anyway, right?

Perhaps a mount with an arm or a gooseneck to move the control heads a little closer to the driver.

Again, I have only pondered this, but until I see it won't work, I'll keep refining it in my head. With those tiny cars I haven't come up with a better idea.
Chris,
Hamming 31 years
http://www.wa2zdy.com
Wesley Chapel, Pasco County, Florida
Snow? What's that?!
The human race is proof that Darwin was wrong.
RadShop

Post by RadShop »

wa2zdy wrote:
A mount, maybe a Gamber Johnson, mounted flat to the floor in front of the passenger seat as close to the hump/console as possible. Do this with the seat already positioned as far to the rear as possible. It's not like the back seat has any legroom anyway, right?
Any suggestions on a model to look at?
Perhaps a mount with an arm or a gooseneck to move the control heads a little closer to the driver.
I've thought about the arm mount, and then I thought about something that didn't get mentioned... ITS STANDARD. :(

I should have bought the damn Impala when I had the chance.
irsa

Post by irsa »

If the radios you're looking at where DIN sized you could fit one under the OE radio, if you have the pocket under it at the moment, and the second one will fit on the side of the console. As for the antennae, I personally would avoid glass mounts due to the possible poor signal. If you did decide to go glass mount you shouldn't have any issues with the defroster lines, unless you intend to keep the car for a very long time. One word of advice, the dash and console of these have zero structure that can support the weight of a radio, I had to add a plate to the back of my console when I installed my Uniden 520 in my Mazda 121, size smaller then the Protege. With carefull planning, and smaller radios, you can fit stuff in there.
DaBigBR

Post by DaBigBR »

Trunk-lip mount antennas may provide the answer you're looking for, at a price that isn't that far off of a window mount. You can also generally use regular NMO type antennas with most lip mount kits, instead of reinventing the wheel with the window mounts, not to mention the fact that there are no one-time-use adhesives involved.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”