SVA's and Saber I 's and scanning...

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

loki71

SVA's and Saber I 's and scanning...

Post by loki71 »

So I got my hands on some SVA's, and I'd like to mount two into my old CJ - but its eventually going to get parked somewhere with the top off, and I'd like to not have a Systems Saber in it when someone is walking by feeling tempted.

All talks of alarms, and keys, and mounting it in ways to secure & hide things aside...

I started to think - Why not just put a Saber I in there? Why not? well, because I want the radio to scan - but then it hit me that many Saber I's are CN radios - they have scan capability, they just have no buttons.

BUT my SVA's have 6150 display mics - so...

So I'm here to again tap the Saber guru's - If I put a Saber 1 in an SVA with a display mic, (and possibly force Saber II programming into it), can it function like a II or III and give me zones and scanning?

Love to hear thoughts and ideas before I invest in a Saber I...

thanks,

Richard

N0TZC
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

Saber I's dont scan. they lack the smarts to do it, regardless of them being "CN" versions. Systems Sabers and Astro Saber I's are a different story.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Saber I scanning...

Post by AEC »

As WC4RAV pointed out, a model I Saber doesn't have the internal memory to scan, nor does it have the display or driver to send that info to your mic, you will have to locate a proper front assy with the LCD and 8K memory in order to access tha scan option in the RSS.

F2 will show your radio's codplug info, regarless of the revision, you'll never be able to access that option until you replace the front assy. with the proper LCD/memory.

Your display mic with a Saber I installed will be blank as well.

As for 'security', you can lock the SVA to prevent theft, but then again, if they want your radio, they'll rip out the SVA and destroy it to get the radio.

Best loss prevention is to NEVER leave anything tempting in view, no matter how safe yo think it may be, there will always be one that can defeat the safeguards.
loki71

conflicted posts

Post by loki71 »

not that I want to stir things up, but according to this:

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=34418

the Saber I will work with the display mic, drive the display, but there is question on button functionality. heh, now that i've shown conflict, you'll see why i wonder what the Saber I can be pushed to do (when its not supposed to and been proven to do so).

from that at least I know some claim it will do some things... but are you saying that even though the radio is designated as 'scan capable', MOTO doesnt put the hardware in to actually support it? or, is it there, just not active in the proper codeplug, and possibly activated if i tell the radio its a saber II?

I only clarify the question because of the conflicting post - and the fact that the brains to run the display are there if this works... why not put in the brains needed for the scanning that is designated by its model number (especially when they could just leave out those brains and designate the radio with an AN).
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

S1/Scanning, etc.

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Forget it. The S1 won't scan, period.

If you put an S1 in an SVA with a 6150 mic the mic display will
show all stars and nothing else.

The latest S1s have a CN suffix owing to their main board, but
they're still missing the means to scan, as was correctly pointed
out above.

You can buy one of those fake rubber Sabers on eBay for about
$15 and stick it in the SVA if there's no other way out of the
situation.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
1 Adam 12
sk

Saber scan

Post by 1 Adam 12 »

Please read the post again....
Yes, it will work with a Saber 1 in it. The usual buttons such as monitor, volume, etc all work on the SVA... . The PTT also functions as do the side keys with a Saber 1.
A regular Saber cannot scan and has no memory available to allow Alpha storage, futhermore.. the RSS won't allow for entry

A SYSTEM SABER will scan and can have names stored and will display if you have a display mike on either the converta-com or the hand held display mikes, thus the second part of the post
If you are using a System Saber 1 and have a display mike, if you program the names in, they will display on the mike, even though the radio doesn't have a display.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”