Strange Public safety mic for Jedi!!

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Radio Intelligence Agency

Strange Public safety mic for Jedi!!

Post by Radio Intelligence Agency »

Anyone ever seen a NMN6242B Public Safety mic for the Jedi series?

I just got one and normally it looks like the "saber style" mic but it´s exactly the same as the normal Jedi NMN6191A mic. It just has 3 bottons on the side including an emergency/man-down botton.

I tried to test it today and found out that something was wrong. The antenne on the radio was installed on the mic but any signal was very bad regardless how the mic was held. I tried different antennas including the original UHF stubby and all with out luck. I use VHF and was told that you´d need a special antenne bacause of the cable but still the one that went with the mic shouldn´t be that bad on a strong signal near by.

When mic is connected the primary antenna is disabled but the other does not take over. I ran several tests.

Am I doing something wrong here or what did I miss? :-?
Keep it under your hat.

Man´s got to know his limitations.
DaBigBR

Post by DaBigBR »

Could it be a chopped together part?

Hmm,
I don´t know if you have ever seen one your self?

It´s like the normal except that it has the sma connector on top and 3 buttons where the plate is on the right side.
Last edited by Radio Intelligence Agency on Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep it under your hat.

DaBigBR

Post by DaBigBR »

That description makes a little more sense to me, but I can't say I've ever seen one.

There are all sorts of custom variations out there of different radios and accessories that were made for certain agencies (such as the federal gov't, FDNY, NYPD, etc). That would almost be my guess.
d119

Post by d119 »

Can we get a picture?

The only picture I got on hand isn´t exactly very good!
I´ll have a friend come over later today and if his digital cam works I´ll hopefully be able to provide you with a good shot showing the side buttons too. That´s where it really differs from others.

I´ve never tried to upload a picture before and wouldn´t know how to do it. The easiest way for me would be to email it to you and then you could upload it if you like.
I´d like to learn how to do all though. :oops:
Keep it under your hat.

d119

Post by d119 »

Well I know one of the MCS 2000 mics was made with three control buttons on the side of it, and it also looks exactly like a JEDI series speaker microphone, with the exception it has no clip on the back, just a hang up button.

And the control buttons DO work on the MCS, and are programmable via standard RSS. I have a couple of 900MHz MCS 2000's, and one of them has the aforementioned microphone on it (and the control buttons DO work).

Does your micrphone have a hang up button on the back, or a lapel clip?

I just re-read your post and realized it's a PS mic, so that answers that... If I can ask, where did the mic come from? Was it used or new? If it was used, it's possibly a bad microphone that came from one of these agencies and thats why it doesn't work.

What kind of radio are you testing on? I wonder if those buttons would work on an XTS 3000, much like the "Commander" speaker mic...

Sounds neat! If you decide to sell it let me know! I'll PM you my e-mail address for a pic, I'm very curious!

I tested it on my Jedi MTS2000 VHF. The mic came from GB and I have seen Met. over there using it a lot when visiting London. It is intended for the Mts2000. It has two black buttons adjusting the volume and an orange emergency button below. All buttons work just fine I´ve tried it :D

By the way I just heard from a contact that works for M that the cops here had PS mics delivered when they got the Jedi radioes back in 93´ but as they use VHF they were very unhappy with the PS mics so M in Germany delivered some custom antennas connected with lock tight (so the cops wouldn´t switch antennas by mistake) before sending them back again. He explained that the impedance on the PS mic made the mic un-useful below 450MHz beyond that he didn´t know much more. He did say that according to his knowledge these mics could be used on 450MHz to 512MHz 800MHz and in some cases on 900MHz. They were never intended to be used on VHF.
The cops still didn´t feel happy about the result so they ordered antennas custom made from another company which by the way coorporates with Celwave later known as RFS. These antennas connect directly on the sma connector on the radio and the PS mics are no longer commen used among officers.

Will I be able to use this mic as a normal mic with the antenna still on the radio sma (removing the pin that forces the radio to switch to external ant) with out having problems using the side buttons? I thought maybe they used the 9600 bus to communicate by and that might give me some probs?
Keep it under your hat.

I now have a picture of the microphone so if anyone wants to see it pm me. :wink:
Keep it under your hat.

mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

These are not chop jobs, they're real.

You can see them on the UK cop show "The Bill". I think the Metropolitan Police uses them for real too, judging from news footage I've seen showing London cops (someone local might be able to provide further information).
VE9MP
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE
What radios do you own?: FPP Railroad XTL9000 Cleancab

Post by VE9MP »

Heres the pic from RIA:

-----Nick-----

"I can trip some repeaters in Maine, but I'm not getting any audio into it, is there some type of tone frequency I use? If so do you know what one is for Maine?" - The SMT Machine

Thanks Nick.

True...they are real and it came from the U.K. too. I´ve visited London twice and the Met more than less use it as a dress code :lol: They had the Storno radioes in the old days (70´, 80´) and they had a customized PS for than one as well (never seen anywhere else) so I gues they kinda like those PS mics. :roll:
Keep it under your hat.

mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

Come to think of it, I'm 90% sure I saw some of those in Sydney during the Olympics in 2000, attached to XTS3000's.
mr-fordtruck

Post by mr-fordtruck »

just what we need, more buttons on the mike. next is a display
afterimage84

Post by afterimage84 »

hard to tell from that pic...but does it have the plunger on the connector for the ps mics with the antenna? that little hoodad is what tell the radio to use the external antenna.
Suddenly You Were Gone

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”