Semi-OT: Die Hard 3

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Osprey
What radios do you own?: Various Sabers

Semi-OT: Die Hard 3

Post by Osprey »

Tonight, I watched Die Hard 3 for the first time since becoming a Motorola geek.

I remembered a thread here (I think) asking if Die Hard 3 had Motorolas in it.

Something's screwy with the knobs in the second.

The bad guys have some generic-looking HTs with BNC antennas, didn't take screencaps of them.
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

The badguys had hammy rigs of some kind, I think.
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

Die Hard, had what was simply called "CB radios" as they were in the clear and even interceptable by the local police station.

Die Hard II used supposedly "encrypted" but were really Icom UHF ham radios with the full DTMF keypad. I don't even think it had a display.

-Josh
va3wxm

Post by va3wxm »

The original Die Hard had the bad guys using Kenwood TH-45 hammy handhelds.

Not sure what LAPD were using back then (1988) but if it was UHF there's a smidgeon of truth to them being able to talk back and forth like that on the "CB".
akardam

Post by akardam »

Those look a helluva lot like Sabers, there (a form factor that will always be near and dear to my heart). In the second pic, you can kind of see the bump of the accessory port cover. You're right, though, the knobs look like they've been pulled up about 1/8".

Given that there's no rocker switch, and the apparent size from the other photos, I'd say it's a non secure conventional Saber with a low-cap battery.
va3wxm

Post by va3wxm »

Was Die Hard 3 done in New York?

I thought NYPD used t-band Sabers?
Osprey

Post by Osprey »

Die Hard 3 was NYPD, yeah. I think they thought they were being cool enough using the radio, nevermind the antenna and lack of secure. :)
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

Sure thing, the first two pics are Sabers, but WHY did they tug on the controls??

WTF is up with that anyhow?

Did they 'fall off' and the actors slapped them back on during the shoot or??

Since I never saw the third movie, i can't add a response.

One day, I may be old enough to watch it?

That stuff's funny no matter who you are(Larry the cable guy)!
Osprey

Post by Osprey »

The movie had no explaination for it. Halfway through, the bad guys make them stop using their radios altogether.
astroman
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by astroman »

Part of Die Hard 3 was filmed in Charleston SC the scene with the truck being pulled over the bridge was filmed in Charleston SC
jhooten

Post by jhooten »

McClain called "breaker channel 9" and was also told by the dispatch supervisor that channel 9 was for emegency use only and she would have to report him to the FCC just befor he shouted "does it sound like I'm ordering a pizza?" and the gunfire was heard in the back ground.

They were playing 11m CB with a Uhf Handi.
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

They're probably empty housings, with the knobs stuck to a couple of pots from Ratshack etc.
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

Most of the radios used on movie sets are dummys, just plastic. You occasionally will find that they use rental radios, especially if they filming a technical or difficult scene.( look on the floor of the car for the PT-400 in White Lightning with Burt Reynolds as he leaves the meeting with the Sherriff) They use the radios for coordination. BTW the chase scenes were filmed on the Taconic State Parkway, just north of State Route 6 in Carmel, Putnam Valley and Mahopac while it was under constuction. They also closed the parkway for extended periods of time, 6 hours or more during filming. They even closed it on Labor Day and traffic backed up for 10 miles in both directions. Also since I am local, the local papers ran a story that the producers even offered to blow up the toll plaza on the Hutchinson River Parkway, and save Westchester County the $100K cost of demolishing it, but the locals with money squashed it.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”