2001 Ford Explorer Antenna Install

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

2001 Ford Explorer Antenna Install

Post by apco25 »

Haven't posted any work in a while.

Here's a 2001 Ford Explorer finish a couple nights ago.

Antennas are

Antenex VHF CAN

Maxrad MLPV series UHF and 800

Antenex GPS

Shakespeare Sirius Sat Radio Antenna.

The Sirius antenna is actually a marine bolt on mount that I adapted for vehicle use. Its a bolt through with a collar for thick surface fiberglass mounting. I had to use a thick mount hilman brass washer to get a proper fit to the roof. Came with TNC connectors and RG-174 coax. Works flawlessly.

[img]http://www.10-39publicsafety.com/images ... %20003.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.10-39publicsafety.com/images ... %20004.jpg[/img]
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
paramedic218

Post by paramedic218 »

i like these antennas and the lo pro look. but i just cant bring my self to cut holes in my roof on my dodge ram. i have used fender mounts up to now.
apco25

Post by apco25 »

Hole are good....

Get over the fear and just do it!
ILuvXMRadio
What radios do you own?: Plenty

Post by ILuvXMRadio »

Yeah.. you WILL love having them mounted in the roof.

I will admit the first time hearing the hole saw cut through, it was like.... 'what the hell did I do!'. But, no turning back..

All I can say is 'it will be ok'. Cut the hole. You'll be glad.
ESDA20

Post by ESDA20 »

How do you like those phantom antennas? I've been considering getting one and trying it out. Haven't found anyone who uses them locally tho for comparison.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Ugh, Antenex hardware... I've got two of their GPS pucks that get temperamental in hot weather on a black roof (apparently, the amplifier becomes a good 40dB pad).

Never had an issue with RadiallLarsen pucks.

Nice layout, otherwise! :lol:
apco25

Post by apco25 »

Haven't noticed problems with the antenex GPS antennas so far.

VHF Phantom antenna was chosen as a compromise. I would have prefered a Comtelco can, but wasn't able to do so because of time contraints.
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

paramedic218 wrote:i like these antennas and the lo pro look. but i just cant bring my self to cut holes in my roof on my dodge ram. i have used fender mounts up to now.
Cut them holes! LOL

I hate the look of mag mounts since i put them in the roof, cables strung all over the place, and L-Brackets are ok for some stuff, i have my GPS antenna on an L-Bracket since it was easier than adding another hole to the roof in a hard to get to place, ran out of easy locations.

I could have put more mounts in the roof if i was willing to drop the headliner. The ones in the roof now were just done by pulling down the dome lights.

Anyway....

Nice work as always apco, how about some shots of the radios these antennas are feeding?
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
apco25

Post by apco25 »

Those pics will follow....
afterimage84

Post by afterimage84 »

you should check out the new phantoms, or ELITE from antennex. tiny and wideband. all of em even VHF-hi. its got a screwy nmo converted mount thing, but other than that they are all niiiiiiiiiiccccccccceeeee.

http://www.antennex.com
Suddenly You Were Gone
Splat

Post by Splat »

We have no problems with Maxrad's pucks. MOF, we never had problems with any Maxrad antennas. BTW, cut the holes. The performance increase will make you sleep better knowing you did the right thing.
paramedic218

Post by paramedic218 »

what about when you trade back in your unit. thats what i am looking at
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

paramedic218 wrote:what about when you trade back in your unit. thats what i am looking at
If you bought the vehicle with trade-in value in mind, you made the wrong investment.

Drill the holes, mount the antennas the right way and throw some 3/4" rubber hole plugs in when you're done with the vehicle.
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

afterimage84 wrote:you should check out the new phantoms, or ELITE from antennex. tiny and wideband. all of em even VHF-hi. its got a screwy nmo converted mount thing, but other than that they are all niiiiiiiiiiccccccccceeeee.

http://www.antennex.com
The address is http://www.antenex.com
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
afterimage84

Post by afterimage84 »

whoooops! my bad.
Suddenly You Were Gone
wa2zdy

Post by wa2zdy »

Yep, cars of any sort make very poor investments. Did you buy it to use it or to sit on it? Drill the holes and your antennas will work that much better.

Of course if it's a lease, that's different, but financially that's worse than hoping for an appreciation in value. Leases are for agencies with more money than sense and for kids with no savings but who think they need a hot car "for now" to pick up girl.

Drill the holes.
Chris,
Hamming 31 years
http://www.wa2zdy.com
Wesley Chapel, Pasco County, Florida
Snow? What's that?!
The human race is proof that Darwin was wrong.
paramedic218

Post by paramedic218 »

well i guess i will have to look into it.. gonna have to look for a ram with antennas in the roof. see how it looks.

thanks all for the input smitty

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”