I think I messed my HT1000 up...

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Osprey
What radios do you own?: Various Sabers

I think I messed my HT1000 up...

Post by Osprey »

Well, the temptation to open up my HT1000 finally hit me today.

Bad idea.

I pulled the knobs off, and I noticed something odd aout the power/volume knob. Didn't seem to stop right. Eh, I'll check it later, I thought. Decased the radio, looked around. Had enough, so I put the case back on, and reattached the knobs. Uh-oh.

Right now, the knob has three settings. Off, On, and On. Off is where it usually was, but now it's in the middle. Looking straight at the radio, PTT on left, if I turn the knob right, it turns the radio on, but won't adjust volume. If I turn the knob left, it acts like the volume knob usually does. Channel select knob, emergency button, PTT/Side and ABC works fine.

Lesson learned: don't mess around with Jedis, they are not Sabers.

Now, is it possible to fix this, or did I mess it up bad?

I tried searching, but I didn't know how to phrase this to search for it.
d119

Post by d119 »

Take it back apart and see if a solder connection from the power/volume pot to the flex cable has broken loose. BE VERY CAREFUL AROUND THE FLEX CABLES - THEY WILL TEAR/BREAK VERY EASILY.

Other than that, it sounds like the pot is shot (har har), might look into replacing it... Not too tough if you're handy with a soldering iron.
Osprey

Post by Osprey »

I'm not sure what you're telling me to do. The first time, I didn't take the shield off or anything like that, just the front of the case. I can't see any solder connections as it is, and I'm not too eagar to do (more?) damage to the flex cables.
kb8ukl

Post by kb8ukl »

Does it in fact still adjust the volume (although its mis-positioned)?

Try taking the knob off, and turn the pot directly, does the entire pot move?
Osprey

Post by Osprey »

Yep, still adjusts volume. The whole pot doesn't appear to move when I adjust it, no. I can sense this is going to result in me paying a technically adept person to undo my dumb mistake :(.
BDB

Post by BDB »

Unless you physically torqued the VOL pot somehow with an inordinate amount of force I'd say the pot was bad to begin with.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

Removal of the case should leave the main controls on the frame, with only the speaker/Mic. assy. attached to the case with a silver colored clip holding the speaker and the flex cable.

S403 should never rotate 360, you may have twisted it too far to force it to 'jump' the switch contact stop.

I bet you have a dead pot which you will have to replace, it's simple if you know how to handle Kapton circuit flexes.

The pot is a 50K Ohm 'assy' which is a standard item, but in true Circle-M fashion, they list this as if it were two pieces joined together.

Liek I stated, the repair is easy and straight forward, just use care in solderring on the flex, the Kapton resists some heat, but not well enough to prevent burn through.

Forget Rat Shack for the part, they are too large and seldom hace the 'notch' on them, or they are located in the opposite direction.

Good luck with the fix!

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”