Anybody "impressed" with /\/\ IMPRES batteries

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

giguchan
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: CDM 1550's UHF/VHF HT1550'S

Anybody "impressed" with /\/\ IMPRES batteries

Post by giguchan »

Hello all,
After spending some time on the Moto site, I was wondering if anyone here has had a chance to use them.
I will be buying more batteries shortly and was wondering if the IMPRES system is actually much different that the regular batteries and regularchargers that come with moto Ht's.
thanks
Radios by Fisher-Price? Never!!!
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
afterimage84

Post by afterimage84 »

they are good if the radio sits in the charger most of the time.
Suddenly You Were Gone
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

thanks for the reply...
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
Alan

Post by Alan »

Yes.

We have about 1500 in service in mixed police/fire/ambulance.

They have reduced our battery related issues to near zero. When the battery falls below theshold the user is aware of it.

In volunteer fire service it has double the service life of the batteries due to the long time the batteries sit in the charger. They now get periodic cycling (reconditopn cycle).

We are Impresed
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

THANK YOU FOR THE REPLY...
I wonder if the moto "red label"battery comes with this new technology...
it was very helpful... I will just be using the radios for hammin.. is all...
thanks again.
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Be aware that although you 'can' use the Impress batteries with standard rapid & overnight chargers, you'll get maximum benefit from them if you also use the Impress charges as well.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

wavetar wrote:Be aware that although you 'can' use the Impress batteries with standard rapid & overnight chargers, you'll get maximum benefit from them if you also use the Impress charges as well.
Correct me if I'm wrong -- the only way to take advantage of using an Impress battery is to use it for 100% of the batteries life time. Sure, you can dump it in any old charger (as long as the charger supports the battery technology)... however - will switching chargers change the life or the ability for the "impress" to be... "impressive..."

-Alex
Alan

Post by Alan »

The actual cells are standard cells. Nothing special here.
All of the "features" and advantages are achieved by using an Impres charger with the Impres battery. While you can charge the battery in a standard rapid rate charger that supports the battery chemistry, if you do it too offten it will reduce the benifits of the Impres battery.
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

Hello,
if i decide to drop the money on the impres battery, you can be sure that i will use the correct charger as well.
provided that the chargers are not too expensive,-remember i also want to look at the "red label" batteries as well.
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

thanks again for all of the replies..
Gig
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

giguchan wrote:Hello,
if i decide to drop the money on the impres battery, you can be sure that i will use the correct charger as well.
provided that the chargers are not too expensive,-remember i also want to look at the "red label" batteries as well.
Care to explain the "red label" batteries? The only ones I know of off hand that are red label are simply the waris programming battery for the HT1550. Those are not ment to be used as full duty cycle batteries (though, they certainly can be).

-Alex
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

Yes.
that is what i meant.. those batteries that can be used on the 1550 that enable s the radio to be keypad programmable....The only name i know them by is "red label"
would you suggest that battery? know if it's worth it or not?I did not know that they were not to be used as a full cycle battery....
thanks.
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

My suggestion:

If you have no problems randomly replacing the battery because it doesn't hold a charge (since it's been used beyond it's life cycle) then why not.

Else, why buy something more expenisve to have a feature you may or may not use all that often.

Sure, having the red battery is cool - but I wouldn't use it as a stock battery if there's no real reason to.

In other words -- buy a red label one, use that sparingly for programming, charge it only enough to keep it useful, and carry white label batteries for normal everyday activities.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

Hey man..
thanks for the help... I was talking to the shop that sells these and they advised me to do the same thing you did..
I'm going to simply get one red label and use it just when i have to, and for reg battery use get something else..
thanks gig
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”