Larger VHF Rubber Ducks?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Osprey
What radios do you own?: Various Sabers

Larger VHF Rubber Ducks?

Post by Osprey »

Larsen makes a 9.5" 150-161 that terminates to a Saber/MT1000 Connector (MX). Another company I forget the name of made an 11.5" antenna for 2m that has an MX on it. Does anyone know of one of similar size (or bigger) that covers 151-154?

Thanks.
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

Surf over to Waltel.com and checkout his selection.

I bought a 144-148 MX style from him a while back for my MT1000, and now i have that antenna on my Saber.

He has a lot of splits available for the MX connector.

144-148
145-155
150-160
150-162

I think the one i bought, the 144-148 was Centurion brand name or something like that. I really like it, its a bit softer and more flexible than the Motorola equivalent, and always seems to bounce back from getting bent when i forget the radio and sit down with it on my belt.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
Osprey
What radios do you own?: Various Sabers

Post by Osprey »

Thanks KB.

You wouldn't happen to know of any quarter wave MX antennas, would you? Or would such a thing overstress the RF connector?
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

There used to be a really long thin whip antenna for the MX type radios. Saw a few at a hamfest once but i don't know who made/makes them. I think they were at least a 1/4w, i know the guy selling them said he would cut them to order. Basically he just snipped them to length then glued on a rubber cap on the tip.

Maybe someone else can chime in on other antenna options.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
Will

Post by Will »

Yes, the longer the better.... the VHF portable radio antennas are accually a 1/4 wave wound or coiled up inside the molded antenna housing.

So the more sperad out, physically longer, the better radiation. Of course it gets to a point that mechanically it is just 'flopping' all over. And if the antenna is too rigid, it can stress the antenna connector on the radio.

For 150 to 160 rqnge, the PEXH150-MX by ComTelco would work very well. The overall lenth is 10.5" Cost about $ 23.50

http://www.comtelcoantennas.com/PDF%20D ... s/PEXH.pdf

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”