Saber Length, Switch Configs, Secure/Clear... Questions!

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Saber Length, Switch Configs, Secure/Clear... Questions!

Post by kb0nly »

I have been looking over a lot of Sabers on ebay lately, and buying a few. One thing that i keep coming across is Saber III's with a SAK model number that have the Secure/Clear switch on top but they are the shorter non-secure capable radios. Both by the model number and the picture of the case, it shouldn't be secure, so why do they still have the batwing swich on top?

I also noticed that the ones that have this also don't have any marking on the top escutcheon labeling the switches purpose, there is no "O" or "Ø" on top.

So what does this switch select, or turn on and off?
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
1 Adam 12
sk

Sabers

Post by 1 Adam 12 »

Many of these utilize the switch for the " Emergency button". I know a lot of PD and Fire and Utility radios where set up this way and not just on the model 3. Florida Power and Light had Model 2 and model 1 units that had the emergency option. Also some model 1 radios that have dots by the switch, are Saber E's which are 24 channel capable units, the switch is used to change zones from 1-2. At one point there use to be some that where UHF that had RPT- T/A by the switch...someone made the escutcheons up custom for that agency.
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Thanks for the info! As with any Moto product there seems to be a lot of variations available.

I saw a Saber III on ebay with the switch, it was the shorter non-secure radio, that had an escutcheon that showed A and B for the switch positions, the seller didn't know the actual function though. So it's another buy it and try it adventure!
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

AEC
No Longer Registered

Toggle switch..

Post by AEC »

From what KB0NLY stated, the escutcheon was not marked with function, that can also indicate the switch was added after production.

Is the toggle a solid hard plastic one, or a soft one with the emergency button as partt of the switch?

The switch is the same for every model, it's the design of the toggle itself that allows emergency or not.

And yes, the Saber IE used it for zone assignment and others used it for T/A.

Too many variables Circle-M used during production life, from standard options, to 'specialty' configurations, I've seen this switch used for PL/CSQ along with manual selection of Secure/Clear operation.

The IE did have a different display/memory though, it would not allow more than 2 zones, no T/A and no scan.

If your radio has the hard plastic toggle, it's easily changed to the newer style with the button in the middle, just slide the radio from the case, spread the two tabs under the controls top, and remove the toggle and replace with the newer one and you now have emegrgency option available (after selected in F4 that is).

I prefer audible emergency, if I can't speak, someone will hear the radio and the open mic function will help pinpoint me as well if they can hear themselves talking while searching.
Osprey
What radios do you own?: Various Sabers

Post by Osprey »

I remember reading something about Systems Saber RSS letting you use the switch/button for different options. Maybe they're SysSaber Cases, or relabled SysSabers?
motorola_otaku

Re: Toggle switch..

Post by motorola_otaku »

AEC wrote:The IE did have a different display/memory though, it would not allow more than 2 zones, no T/A and no scan.
You can, however, convert one to a model II by creating a codeplug and dumping it in the radio, provided you have a model II or III case and the front keypad flex. I've done it, and it's been discussed several times here.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Osprey wrote:I remember reading something about Systems Saber RSS letting you use the switch/button for different options. Maybe they're SysSaber Cases, or relabled SysSabers?
Don't think that's it. System Sabers are long chassis and the tin man tells us these are short. I'm with AEC on this one, likely a special build. I'd cast my vote that it was ordered with a man-down switch but just a strong guess. Would be interested in the outcome when radio arrives.
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

I bid on one but lost, i think he still has one for sale, i will find the auction and post the link so you can all have a look at it.

kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Here is one that i noticed recently, i can't find the one with the A/B switch it must have ended now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Yup, looks like an added man-down switch. Looks like what would be the A/B switch is a similar looking escutcheon with a couple of raised areas to prevent accidintal tripping. Probably does't twist either.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

1E talkaround...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

AEC:

The 1E certainly does have talkaround capability that is set in the options
menu. If you set it to T/A rather than two-zone operation you set the repeater
channels in the A section and the radio automatically goes to simplex for the
corresponding channel in the B section.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Saber IE..

Post by AEC »

Thanks Tom!

I've never had a IE to play with, but judging from past model Is, even the submersible ones, I've never been able to get T/A set via RSS, I might have to get one just to toy with it.

I had a front that listed as a IE, but when I read it after I installed it, it showed II codeplug info, and I never could program IE options, so I left it as a II.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

1E T/A...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

The options are H560 and H256 on all of the SAG and YBG Sabers. H371 is also
relevant (2-zone operation) and can not be turned off. There is a help screen for
the T/A function that explains exactly how it works.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”