ht 1250 questions

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

sourapple613

ht 1250 questions

Post by sourapple613 »

im looking into buying a ht 1250 off of ebay. Any tips of what model numbers or serial numbers to stay away from? Also can i progrom RX only frequencies so as to use this radio as a scanner also? I would like to program local PD/FD freqs and RX only on them and on other channels such as ham bands be able to TX/RX. Also would use on MURS if thats possible?? From reading on other posts i noticed you cannot transmit on FRS using this radio.... Can you TX on GMRS frequencies if using the UHF model? Im assuming programing software can be had from the local motorola dealer? Also which is better to program with RIB or RIBless? I also am wondering how to upgrade firmwares if bought off of ebay or how to tell what the firmware is from an auction?

Thanks
Osprey
What radios do you own?: Various Sabers

Post by Osprey »

If you have a GMRS license, you may transmit on the GMRS channels, and the first 7 FRS channels (known as interstital), but with 5W max TPO.

If the HT1250 can be programmed down to 2W and narrowband on the 151 channels, MURS is fine.

From what I've read here, Ebay aftermarket RIBless cables are hit-or-miss.
sourapple613

Post by sourapple613 »

Thanks for the reply. Do you know about RX only frequencies if thats possible??
Osprey

Post by Osprey »

I'm sure it is, yes.
sourapple613

Post by sourapple613 »

Does you or anyone else know of what to look for in a ebay auction such as serial numbers or anything else to see if its a bad model? Anything on firmwares also?
Osprey

Post by Osprey »

I don't know too much about the HT1250, sorry. But this place is full of great people who know every model Motorola's made backwards and fowards.

Good luck, and have fun.
sourapple613

Post by sourapple613 »

Thanks for your help.
Osprey wrote:I don't know too much about the HT1250, sorry. But this place is full of great people who know every model Motorola's made backwards and fowards.

Good luck, and have fun.
mtp2

Post by mtp2 »

Yes. What osprey said is true. Basically you may want to look at the serial number to try and find a newer model radio. Yes you can program rx only channels on a per personality basis. I believe you can program MURS. You can also program frs channels-just not legally. The programming software must be obtained from motorola after filling out all the forms and is difficult for an individual to get. Rib or ribless-either one works fine.
Good luck.

mtp
sourapple613

Post by sourapple613 »

thanks for your reply.. ill prolly be back asking more questions on how to program the RX only freqs and programming in general as this would be my first time. Thanks for all your help. I appreciate all the replys
sourapple613

Post by sourapple613 »

mtp2 what would a newer serial number look like? What part of it should i look at? Thanks
mtp2

Post by mtp2 »

Here is a link that explains how to decode most serial number for the approx. manufacture date.

http://www.batlabs.com/mfgtabl.html

mtp
Meridian

Post by Meridian »

I am far from an expert, but I do have some experience buying HT1250s and other /\/\ radios on ebay. In fact it was that experience that drove me to look for a better place to buy used /\/\ radios and that's how I found batlabs. Use ebay if you must but also consider the Equipment For Sale/Wanted/Trade forum here. For me batlabs beats ebay hands down.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”