HT1000 AA Clamshell

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

plonerga

HT1000 AA Clamshell

Post by plonerga »

Does anyone know of a source for HT1000 AA Clamshell Battery Packs? Thanks-
motor59
Batboard $upporter

Post by motor59 »

They don't exist.
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "
Splat

Post by Splat »

Actually, they now do. http://www.batteryzone.com now has a clamshell for the Jedi series. Their part# is CAM7144 and their asking price is $40. Not bad, but it looks pretty damn bulky.
fire_master_21
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Motorola/Kenwood

Post by fire_master_21 »

I got one already. It works pretty good, not something I would want to carry around very long. I got it to keep in my gear bag for lengthly m/aid kinda stuff.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Splat

Post by Splat »

The only guys I know who use them are my forestry buddies. IIRC no one made one for the Jedi series so everyone was using BK radios because you could get clamshells for them. I'd take a MT2000 over a BK, but nowadays I'd take a Kenwood TK-2180 over a Motorola. :o :)
Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

This guy has an ad on the radio referance forums. Looks sorta clunky to me :)

http://radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26760
1 Adam 12
sk

Clamshell

Post by 1 Adam 12 »

Well there is a difference in the model for any front display radio and non-display radios such as the HT1000 or MTX. A local agency requested one to try for their HT1000s and then tried to pop it on the MTS2000 they have and ended up getting another model that fits it. I just ordered and XTS one to play with.
As mentioned they add length and width to radio and may not fit in some standard cases if you don't use the belt clip option. As an emergency option, bulky or not, its a great tool.
wa2zdy

Post by wa2zdy »

Ok I'm missing soemthing here but why a different one for the HT1000 vs the MT2000 (A7)? How does the front display matter?

And I like how he says 5Ah for the AA pack. Never saw AA batteries rated at 5Ah. . .
Chris,
Hamming 31 years
http://www.wa2zdy.com
Wesley Chapel, Pasco County, Florida
Snow? What's that?!
The human race is proof that Darwin was wrong.
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

I just wish I could find one for a KVL (3011).
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
mastr

Post by mastr »

2 strings of 6 cells each would be 5AH if 2500mah cells were used. 2500mah AA cells are available at nearly any Wal-mart.
wa2zdy wrote:Ok I'm missing soemthing here but why a different one for the HT1000 vs the MT2000 (A7)? How does the front display matter?

And I like how he says 5Ah for the AA pack. Never saw AA batteries rated at 5Ah. . .
Johnny Galaga

Post by Johnny Galaga »

mastr wrote:2 strings of 6 cells each would be 5AH if 2500mah cells were used. 2500mah AA cells are available at nearly any Wal-mart.
So those 2 strings are in parallel? With 12 AA batteries, I was kinda worried about the radio getting hit with 15 volts.
Analog already is interoperable.

1 Adam 12
sk

Case size difference

Post by 1 Adam 12 »

Possibly due to a regular case being shaped different from the speaker portion down, versus a full display case. Due to the display and keys etc its a differrent shaped case then a top or non display case.
But it brings up another intersting point.. if its top display then you probably need and HT1000 case ?? I'll go by the department and see if I can borrow em for a day or two.
wa2zdy

Post by wa2zdy »

mastr wrote:2 strings of 6 cells each would be 5AH if 2500mah cells were used. 2500mah AA cells are available at nearly any Wal-mart.
You are in fact correct. For some reason I was not thinking 7.5v. Duh.

Now I'll have to go get my HT1000 and MT2000 and compare them. I'd never noticed a difference in the exact shape of the cases. Hmmm . . .
Chris,
Hamming 31 years
http://www.wa2zdy.com
Wesley Chapel, Pasco County, Florida
Snow? What's that?!
The human race is proof that Darwin was wrong.
MWalkerZone

Post by MWalkerZone »

2 strings of 6 cells each would be 5AH if 2500mah cells were used. 2500mah AA cells are available at nearly any Wal-mart.
So those 2 strings are in parallel? With 12 AA batteries, I was kinda worried about the radio getting hit with 15 volts.

They are indeed using 2 parallel strings of 6 cells. Using "Duracell Procell" or "Energizer Industrial" (2200-2600 mAh), we figured 5000mAh would be a good average. The capacity would be very close to this if not equal using regular old "Copper Tops". Also having the cells in 2 strings means it's nowhere near 15v.
Now I'll have to go get my HT1000 and MT2000 and compare them. I'd never noticed a difference in the exact shape of the cases. Hmmm . . .

The case is slightly different. The MT2000, MTS2000, JT1000 etc. etc. case has a teeny tiny bit more room to accomadate the keypad.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

wa2zdy wrote:
You are in fact correct. For some reason I was not thinking 7.5v. Duh.

HT1000 and MT2000 A-4 are identical dimensions, the A-7, B-7 case is slightly thicker in the lower 1/2 to fit the display, keypad electronics. The gawky design of this clamshell just doesn't hook on the back of the radio it also wraps around the bottom and goes up the front cover a bit
hence the need for 2 different Jedi models.
kd6rfs

Post by kd6rfs »

wait a minute....I just checked BatteryZones site, and they have (2) models, one alkaline and one lithium....I know the difference in lithium and alkaline, but I mean whats the difference as far as, are these "one time use only" packs? or are they able to be opened and the AA's changed out with fresh ones? I didnt get it in the description of the product? also, if you look at the bottom edge in the pic closely, you can see where its rounded to fit around the display models, right below the keypad its also rounded? thanks...David KD6RFS
MWalkerZone

Post by MWalkerZone »

kd6rfs wrote:wait a minute....I just checked BatteryZones site, and they have (2) models, one alkaline and one lithium....I know the difference in lithium and alkaline, but I mean whats the difference as far as, are these "one time use only" packs? or are they able to be opened and the AA's changed out with fresh ones? I didnt get it in the description of the product? also, if you look at the bottom edge in the pic closely, you can see where its rounded to fit around the display models, right below the keypad its also rounded? thanks...David KD6RFS
Yes...they are able to be opened and filled with new AA's. As far as the difference between the alkaline and lithium version, I believe that it should read "Alkaline OR Lithium". After looking at the pics on the site it seems that the one labeled "Lithium" is actually the keypad version. I will inform our site administrator of this. Thanks for pointing it out.

Below, Is a better description of the product. I borrowed a HT1000 from the fire station across the road from me and snapped off a few pics. Hope this helps.

Potential Uses:

*Backup battery.
*Emergency situations when power for recharging is unavailable.
*Emergency cache for incident command vehicles as well as natural disaster and homeland security preparedness.
*Search and rescue in remote locations.
*Campaign firefighting (forest fires).
*Long term storage (7 years with new batteries).
*More cost effective than rechargeable batteries for radios that are infrequently used.

Specs:

*Operates on (12) alkaline or lithium AA batteries (Specify model).
*5Ah w/ alkaline cells. 6Ah w/ lithium cells.
*7.75”tall w/o radio. 8.5”tall w/ radio. (HT1000)
*Available for the following radios: HT1000, MT2000, MTS2000, JT1000, HT6000, MTX8000, GP900, XTS3000/3500/5000 (Specify Model).

Picture:
This is the HT1000/MTS2000 model. XTS3000/5000 model not shown, but it's the same concept.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”